Need help on three problems fast

• Thread starter Kickbladesama
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about three different problems related to gas and temperature. The first problem involves a cylindrical container filled with water and the amount of water that overflows when the temperature is increased. The second problem asks for the number density and average distance between gas molecules, as well as the total mass and mass density of a gas with a given molecular mass. The third problem involves a sealed cylinder containing an ideal gas and the change in pressure when the root mean square speed of the molecules is reduced. The relevant equations for these problems are the ideal gas law and the coefficient of volume expansion for water and brass.
Kickbladesama
need help on three problems fast!

Homework Statement

A cylindrical brass container with a base of 87.0 cm2 and height of 20.0 cm is filled to the brim with water when the system is at 25.0°C. How much water overflows when the temperature of the water and the container is raised to 94.5°C? (The coefficient of volume expansion for water and brass are 207 multiplied by 10-6 K-1 and 57 multiplied by 10-6 K-1, respectively.)

--------------------------------------

At 0.0°C and 1.00 atm, 0.95 mol of a gas occupies a volume of 0.0213 m3.
(a) What is the number density?
(b) Estimate the average distance between the gas molecules.
(c) If the gas is composed of diatomic molecules with a molecular mass of 29.16500 g/mol, what is the total mass?
(d)What is the mass density?

---------------------------------------

A sealed cylinder contains a sample of ideal gas at a pressure of 1.1 atm. The rms speed of the molecules is v0. If the rms speed is then reduced to 0.73v0, what is the pressure of the gas?

Homework Equations

pV = NRT

deltaL/L = alpha x temp

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kickbladesama!

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

For the first problem, we can use the formula for volume expansion to find the new volume of the water and container at 94.5°C:

V2 = V1(1+αΔT)

Where V1 is the original volume, α is the coefficient of volume expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

We can then use the formula for density to find the amount of water that overflows:

ρ = m/V

Where ρ is the density, m is the mass of the water, and V is the volume.

For the second problem, we can use the ideal gas law to find the number density and the mass density:

N/V = p/RT

Where N is the number of molecules, V is the volume, p is the pressure, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

To find the average distance between molecules, we can use the formula:

d = (√(3V/N))^(1/3)

Where d is the average distance, V is the volume, and N is the number of molecules.

For the third problem, we can use the formula for the rms speed of gas molecules:

v = √(3RT/M)

Where v is the rms speed, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and M is the molecular mass.

We can then use the ideal gas law to find the new pressure:

p2 = p1(v2/v1)^2

Where p1 is the original pressure, v1 is the original rms speed, and v2 is the new rms speed.

I hope this helps with your homework. Remember to always show your work and use the appropriate units in your calculations. Good luck!

1. How can I get help with three problems quickly?

There are a few options for getting help with multiple problems quickly. You can reach out to a tutor or classmate for assistance, use online resources such as study guides or forums, or try breaking down the problems into smaller, more manageable tasks.

2. What are some effective strategies for solving problems efficiently?

Some strategies for solving problems efficiently include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, visualizing the problem, and identifying any relevant formulas or equations. It can also be helpful to take short breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and try to approach problems from different angles. It can also be helpful to review past problems and identify any patterns or common techniques that can be applied to similar problems in the future.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular problem?

If you are struggling with a specific problem, try reaching out to a classmate or instructor for assistance. You can also use online resources or consult textbooks for additional explanations and examples. It is also important to not get discouraged and keep practicing.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while working on multiple problems?

To manage your time effectively while working on multiple problems, try setting specific goals and allocating a certain amount of time for each problem. It can also be helpful to prioritize the problems based on difficulty or importance. Taking short breaks and staying organized can also increase efficiency.