How Do You Apply Calculus to Determine Force in Physics?

In summary, the person is currently taking AP Physics and calculus in high school and needs help with applying calculus. They mention that they know they need to take the derivative of the Potential Energy equation, and also mention the relationship between potential energy and force. They ask for clarification on how to determine the function for force and how to integrate. Another person suggests looking at the units and using the derivatives and integrals to find the function for force. Thanks to LowlyPion for their input.
glennpagano44
Right now I am in AP physics in High School, while also taking calculus and I need some assitance on when and how to apply the calculus (once I know to do calculus I can go from there)

Example

If Potential Energy is 5x^2+3x+7 what function is the force.

- I know you have to take derivative of the PE equation because my teacher told me.

Also because -PE=Fdcos the you get -PE/d=F. From there how do you know to put dPE/dd =F. Also how do you know not to integrate.

Thanks Alot

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at the units if nothing else.

Forces are in Newtons N and energy is in Joules which are N-m

If you have Joules then the rate of changes in Joules by x should yield Newtons.

If you have Newtons exerted over a distance x, the integral of F⋅X (F as a function of x) yields you Joules - energy.

In your problem you're wanting to know the F as a function of x and you are given the energy potentials PE as a function of x. Hence dPE/dx should yield you your Force as a function of x.

Thanks a lot LowlyPion that helped out. Anyone else have any input?

1. When should I start learning Calculus?

It is recommended to start learning Calculus after you have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. This is usually during high school or early college years.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand Calculus?

Having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is important, but it is not the only requirement. A curious and open mind, as well as dedication to learning, can also help in understanding Calculus.

3. How long does it take to learn Calculus?

The time it takes to learn Calculus varies for each individual. It also depends on how much time you are willing to dedicate to studying and practicing the concepts. Generally, it takes at least one semester to cover the basics of Calculus.

4. Can I apply Calculus in real life?

Yes, Calculus is widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and even biology. It helps in understanding and solving real-world problems that involve rates of change and optimization.

5. What is the best way to study Calculus?

There is no one "best" way to study Calculus, as it depends on individual learning styles. However, some effective methods include attending lectures, practicing problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also important to regularly review and understand the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.