1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on when to apply the Calculus

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Right now I am in AP physics in High School, while also taking calculus and I need some assitance on when and how to apply the calculus (once I know to do calculus I can go from there)

If Potential Energy is 5x^2+3x+7 what function is the force.

- I know you have to take derivative of the PE equation beacause my teacher told me.

Also because -PE=Fdcos the you get -PE/d=F. From there how do you know to put dPE/dd =F. Also how do you know not to integrate.

Thanks Alot
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You can look at the units if nothing else.

Forces are in Newtons N and energy is in Joules which are N-m

If you have Joules then the rate of changes in Joules by x should yield Newtons.

If you have Newtons exerted over a distance x, the integral of F⋅X (F as a function of x) yields you Joules - energy.

In your problem you're wanting to know the F as a function of x and you are given the energy potentials PE as a function of x. Hence dPE/dx should yield you your Force as a function of x.
  4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot LowlyPion that helped out. Anyone else have any input?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?