1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help please: data on falling object

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You will learn a lot about the motion of falling objects in chapter two. At this time you do not have to make any measurements. This exercise is purely numerical. The following table shows the position of a falling apple, in meters, at several instants in time. The clock was started when the apple started to fall and the position is measured vertically downward from the point of release.
    Time 0 Distance 0 I need to figure out Time^2 for each one of these.Time is in seconds and distance in meters. thank you.
    Time 1 Distance 4.9
    Time 2 Distance 19.6
    Time 3 Distance 44.1
    Time 4 Distance 78.4
    Time 5 Distance 122.5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You should show some attempt!(And in this particular case, I think as soon as you start, you get the answer!)

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    This is the last physics problem I have for homework tonight and have no idea what time ^2 means. Is that speed? I know speed is distance/time.

5. Jan 9, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Oh...it just means square the number. If t=a, then t^2=a^2=a*a.

6. Jan 9, 2015 #5
    But what am I suppose to square? I have nothing in the Time ^2 box......

7. Jan 9, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The apple fall for time t and travelled some distance. t^2 (or t2) is the square of the time. The distances are given, find t2 for each of them.
    You know the formula for uniformly accelerating motion, how the distance travelled depends on time. What is it?

8. Jan 9, 2015 #7
    I honestly have no clue, can someone please do the first one besides 0 for me and explain it then I can probably get it.

9. Jan 9, 2015 #8
    I think I am over thinking this.

10. Jan 9, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The time is unknown, but the distance is given. Calculate t2 from the appropriate formula. What is it? The falling apple performs uniformly accelerating motion. What did you learn about such motion?

11. Jan 9, 2015 #10
    This was my second class today, he gave us a packet that included this a diameter verus circumference exercise in it and the rope around the world what can fit under problem.

12. Jan 9, 2015 #11
    Do I need to figure out velocity?

13. Jan 9, 2015 #12

ShayanJ

Gold Member

No...you are given a number of (time,distance) pairs. You should calculate time*time for each pair.

14. Jan 9, 2015 #13
    So the answer for 1.0 would be 1? Then 2 would be 4?

15. Jan 9, 2015 #14

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Yeah, that's it!

16. Jan 9, 2015 #15
    You gotta be kidding me..... that seemed way to easy.

17. Jan 9, 2015 #16
    It is midnight where I am and have been trying to solve this all day long.......... Thank you so much.

18. Jan 9, 2015 #17
    The square is one right?

19. Jan 9, 2015 #18

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The square of one is one, right!

20. Jan 9, 2015 #19
    He deleted his post now I look like an idiot.....

21. Jan 9, 2015 #20

ShayanJ

Gold Member

No, I saw there was another post. I now realize you were answering to that. You don't look like an idiot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted