1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help please?

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    i am from a thirld world country, and my brother has just finished his high scholl who wants to study mathematics later. can any of you outline a general course that he takes for his later career. i am not a student of physics, i am just a student of medicine so i dont know much about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    Well, mathematicians can generally take up many jobs that require problem solving and maths skills. He doesn't necessarily have to work in Physics, but many mathematicians at the moment are working on particle physics research.

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
  5. Jan 23, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's nasty! It seems to imply that if one wants to be a physicists, one will probably end up as a theorist. That is so wrong if you simply look at (i) the AIP statistics, for example and (ii) the employability.

I will also counter that with the infamous Harry Lipkin article once more.

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-53/iss-7/p15.html

Zz.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  6. Jan 23, 2006 #5
    i didnt say anything about theoretical physics .....but mathematics was menotioned and an experimentalist doesnt need to know the type of maths a theroist does ....if uve covered a theorists maths uve almost covered all the maths ....

7. Jan 24, 2006 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

no matter what, he needs to study calculus, as much as possible, including advanced calculus, and linear algebra.

and try to ignore these people fussing over which branch of what he should go into.

8. Jan 24, 2006 #7
    ok i get them all. he has decided he is going UK. its totally not fair that he is losing another 6 months or perhaps a year just to prepare for the IELTS.

9. Jan 28, 2006 #8
    thats great advice but its an old problme,as old as a verylitle hill.
    if he promised himself to go to uk, let me alone
    a mathcourse is is outlined in math department of any school he wants to go to, u search for him to show ur good more completely, u still only help half by asking physicforum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?