Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help purchasing circuit components

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

These questions might seem very silly but it is my first time purchasing electrical components and I want to make sure I buy the correct ones based on my OWN LOGIC. I do not just want to blindly follow directions to build this motor controller without knowing the logic behind the parts that I need.

A few weeks back I made a post about constructing a circuit to control the speed and direction of a DC motor. The link to what I have in mind is below.

http://www.electronics-project-design.com/DCMotorDriver.html [Broken]

Now, I know they have the components listed to buy, but my question is, how would I go about figuring out what to buy myself? What I mean by that is, if I was making this circuit from scratch without the aid of the website, how would I know what types of components to buy? I ask this because I want to have some insight into the design aspect of the circuit instead of just buying the parts blindly. My guess would be this..

-Find a potentiometer From that potentiometer determine the voltage ranges that will go into the Op-Amp.

-Find an OpAmp and determine what is the maximum voltage the Op-Amp will put out based on the voltage ranges found.

-Get two Transistors that have a base current requirement of the current coming from the Op-Amp.

-Get an electric motor that will run on the current from the transistors.

Does anyone have any good sites to purchases electronic components? Does Radio shack sell them? I found a site called http://www.mouser.com [Broken] it seems to be very good but I tried looked up potentiometers and they only had "digital potentiometers." I do not know about digital ones, the ones I had in mind were mechanical, meaning you turn a knob and it changes the resistance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted