What Determines the Absorption or Emission of Photons in Hydrogen Atoms?

In summary: It is difficult to say for certain, but it is likely that the photon will be absorbed. The energy of the photon is greater than the energy of the electron, so the photon will be absorbed.
stickplot

Homework Statement

ok so i know whenever a photon is absorbed it will jump up a energy level and when it is emmited it releases energy. but my question is, for example, if k=1 (fundamental state) in a hydrogen atom and they give you the given wavelength of the photon, you solve it and you get n=2 would the photons absorb or emit? I am just confused because at first i thought it would absorb, because it is a greater number but then i used the equation -13.6/n^2 and got me confused because k= -13.6 and n= -3.4 and i thought that the electron with the greater negative number is "stronger" because it attracts more, and i thought that for a photon to absorb it had to have "at least" as much energy as the electron it hits. So would it emit or absorb? do i have the wrong idea of what's going on? someone help please and explain to me.
thank you :)

Homework Equations

1/lambda= r(1/k^2-1/n^2)
hf= hc/lambda= energy of transition= energy of photon

Physics news on Phys.org
stickplot said:
ok so i know whenever a photon is absorbed it will jump up a energy level and when it is emmited it releases energy. but my question is, for example, if k=1 (fundamental state) in a hydrogen atom and they give you the given wavelength of the photon, you solve it and you get n=2 would the photons absorb or emit? I am just confused because at first i thought it would absorb, because it is a greater number but then i used the equation -13.6/n^2 and got me confused because k= -13.6 and n= -3.4 and i thought that the electron with the greater negative number is "stronger" because it attracts more, and i thought that for a photon to absorb it had to have "at least" as much energy as the electron it hits. So would it emit or absorb? do i have the wrong idea of what's going on? someone help please and explain to me.
thank you :)
It seems that you are quite confused about Hydrogen transitions. For a brief overview take a look http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html" .

It is extremely difficult to actually 'teach' concepts through a forum, perhaps if you posted the specific question that you are having trouble with we could help you out.

Let's have a look at what you have said:
stickplot said:
ok so i know whenever a photon is absorbed it will jump up a energy level and when it is emmited it releases energy
Let me just add a few words:
Whenever a photon of the correct* energy is absorbed by an electron, the electron will jump up a energy level and when a photon is emmited the electron looses energy.

*By correct energy, I mean an energy corresponding to the difference in energy between the electrons current energy level and another (higher) allowed energy level.

stickplot said:
if k=1 (fundamental state) in a hydrogen atom and they give you the given wavelength of the photon, you solve it and you get n=2 would the photons absorb or emit?
Well, the electron is moving from the energy level n=1 to n=2, i.e. it is moving from a lower energy level to a higher one.

stickplot said:
but then i used the equation -13.6/n^2 and got me confused because k= -13.6 and n= -3.4 and i thought that the electron with the greater negative number is "stronger" because it attracts more, and i thought that for a photon to absorb it had to have "at least" as much energy as the electron it hits.
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about here or where you have pulled n=-3.4 from. By definition n can only take integer values. You also seem to be using the same symbols for two different meanings and vice versa. In the previous quote you seem to be using both k & n to denote energy levels, whereas here you seem to be using them to denote energies.

As I said above, it is probably best if you post the question that you are struggling with an we can help you through it. I know that from our previous conversations that you are following an online course, what are you using for course materials/texts?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok appreciate your help. here's the question
A photon with λ = 600 nm interacts with a hydrogen atom in fundamental state. Will the photon be absorbed? Justify your answer.
and btw I am homeschooled and I am taking the ut austin high school program, and we don't get textbooks but its an online course so it gives you a video for the tutorial, but there are some tutorials that i get quite confused with.
and the -13.6/n^2= energy of orbital. and i thought you were supposed to use what you found for n to place in the equation to find the energy.
if you guide me through the question it will certainly help thank you :)

stickplot said:
ok appreciate your help. here's the question
A photon with λ = 600 nm interacts with a hydrogen atom in fundamental state. Will the photon be absorbed? Justify your answer.
and btw I am homeschooled and I am taking the ut austin high school program, and we don't get textbooks but its an online course so it gives you a video for the tutorial, but there are some tutorials that i get quite confused with.
and the -13.6/n^2= energy of orbital. and i thought you were supposed to use what you found for n to place in the equation to find the energy.
if you guide me through the question it will certainly help thank you :)
Okay so we have the equation, but is is equally important to know the units that we are working in. So, what are the units of the quoted -13.6?

electron volts.
so we find n first right

stickplot said:
electron volts.
so we find n first right
How do you propose to find n if we don't yet know the energy of the incident photon?

o ok. well the energy of the photon would be hc/lambda which would be 2.1 eV nm but why do we need this?
i thought that you could just find n by putting in lambda and k (fundamental state) on the 1/lambda=1/k^2-1/n^2 and solving for n

stickplot said:
o ok. well the energy of the photon would be hc/lambda which would be 2.1 eV nm but why do we need this?
i thought that you could just find n by putting in lambda and k (fundamental state) on the 1/lambda=1/k^2-1/n^2 and solving for n
You could indeed use that equation (but don't forget the coefficient).

Since you mentioned the other formula in your previous post, I assumed that you wanted to use the alternative formula:
stickplot said:

alright.
so i solved for n and i got 1.08 and since only integers are accepted i would round off to 1 right?
and since k=1 and n=1 how do i know whether it is absorbing or not?

and how could i solve with the other equation? once i found the energy of the photon what would i do after?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as atoms and electrons. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other at the quantum level, which is the smallest level of energy and matter.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. It also plays a crucial role in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

3. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical physics deals with the behavior of objects on a larger scale. Quantum physics also introduces the concept of probability and uncertainty, which are not present in classical physics.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Some real-world applications of quantum physics include transistors, lasers, computer hard drives, and MRI machines. It also has potential applications in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, and energy production.

5. Is quantum physics difficult to understand?

Quantum physics can be difficult to understand because it is based on complex mathematical equations and the behavior of particles at the quantum level can be counterintuitive. However, with proper study and guidance, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of its principles and applications.