Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help quick with rotational acceleration

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    Imagine there is a bicycle wheel. At 1 point on the wheel a rope is fixed to the wheel. The rope is wrapped around the wheel 180 degrees and on the other end of the rope their is a weight (see image below).

[​IMG]

The point is actually that I want to compare the weight dropping from different heights (to make the wheel turn) and see which acceleration the wheel gets from these different heights.

NB: The wheel will only accelerate 180 degrees.

Please help => HOW??!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2
    Well the tangential force on the weel, exerted by the rope is equal to the gravity force acting on the object. Via [tex]\alpha . R = a_{t} = mgh[/tex] you can calculate the acceleration. Then you can use the formula's for omega (you know [tex]\omega = \omega_{0} + \alpha.t[/tex])and theta in order to calculate the angular velocity omega...alpha is the angular acceleration but you knew that already right ???

regards
    marlon

4. Jan 7, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot first of all. Can you please write down a little list: omega = .... alpha = acceleration etc. because I have seen different letters for the same things so I am kind of confused. Thanks.

5. Jan 7, 2005 #4

omega is angular speed
    alpha is angular velocity
    theta is the angle with the horizotal x-axis.

[tex]\theta = \theta_{0} + \omega_{0}.t + \alpha . \frac{t^2}{2}[/tex]

the formula for omega is in my previous post.
    When there is a subscript 0 : it means inital. So inital velocity and theta.

For eample the [tex]\theta_{0} = \pi[/tex] because you start on the left side of the circle and [tex]\omega_{0} = 0[/tex]

regards
    marlon

6. Jan 7, 2005 #5
    Thank You!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?