Need help related to heat, water and aluminium

In summary, the problem involves calculating the decrease in surface area of an aluminium plate after being immersed in water, the percentage change in area due to a temperature change, the heat transferred to the water, and the mass of the water. The equations needed to solve this problem involve the coefficient of linear expansion and the coefficient of area expansion, which can be found in a table.
Sl1ver

Homework Statement

I need help at identifying what forumala's to use to calculate the following

(Density of Aluminium 2770kg/m^3
An aluminium plate has a mass of 5kg and a surface area of 2m^2. The temperature of the plate is 450°C. The plate is immersed in a container of water of which the temperature rises from 20°C to 80°C. Only 70% of the heat energy given off by the plate is transferred to the water
Calculate
- Decrease in surface area of plate after being immersed in water
- percentage change in area due to temperature change
- heat transferred to water
- mass of the water

I have been going through the examples in the book and i just don't see how I will work it out. It seems I need a coefficient of linear expansion and coefficient of area expansion
but I just get 0 both times.

need to be pointed in the right direction to solve the problem as in formulas that would need to be used.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sl1ver! :smile:
Sl1ver said:
I have been going through the examples in the book and i just don't see how I will work it out. It seems I need a coefficient of linear expansion and coefficient of area expansion
but I just get 0 both times.

mmm :confused:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

coefficient of area = A1 -A2/A1(t2-t1)
=2m^2-2m^2/2m^2(80°C-20°)
=0/120
=0

and coefficient of linear expansion
using a as i can't find the proper symbol

2a = B
b=2/a
and then end up with zero as well.

so I can't see how zero and zero will help me

Sl1ver said:
It seems I need a coefficient of linear expansion and coefficient of area expansion

ah, yes …

i think you'll need to look those up in a table :smile:

I would suggest using the following equations to help solve this problem:

1. Heat transfer equation: Q = mcΔT
This equation relates the heat transferred (Q) to the mass (m), specific heat capacity (c), and change in temperature (ΔT) of a substance.

2. Density equation: ρ = m/V
This equation relates the density (ρ) of a substance to its mass (m) and volume (V).

3. Coefficient of linear expansion equation: α = (ΔL/LΔT)
This equation relates the coefficient of linear expansion (α) to the change in length (ΔL), original length (L), and change in temperature (ΔT) of a substance.

4. Coefficient of area expansion equation: β = (ΔA/AΔT)
This equation relates the coefficient of area expansion (β) to the change in area (ΔA), original area (A), and change in temperature (ΔT) of a substance.

Using these equations, we can solve for the unknowns in the given problem:

1. Decrease in surface area of plate after being immersed in water:
To calculate the decrease in surface area, we can use the coefficient of area expansion equation. Since the plate is made of aluminium, we can use the coefficient of area expansion for aluminium, which is approximately 23.1 x 10^-6 /°C. We can also assume that the plate expands uniformly, so we can use the original surface area (2m^2) as the original area (A) in the equation. We also know the change in temperature (ΔT) of the plate, which is 450°C - 20°C = 430°C. Plugging in these values, we get:
β = (ΔA/AΔT) = (ΔA/2m^2)(23.1 x 10^-6 /°C)(430°C)
Solving for ΔA, we get:
ΔA = 2m^2(23.1 x 10^-6 /°C)(430°C) = 0.0199m^2
Therefore, the decrease in surface area is 0.0199m^2.

2. Percentage change in area due to temperature change:
To calculate the percentage change in area, we can use the following equation:
% change

1. How does heat affect water?

Heat causes water molecules to move faster, leading to an increase in temperature. This can result in the water changing from a solid state (ice) to a liquid state, and eventually to a gas state (steam).

2. Can aluminium be used to heat water?

Yes, aluminium is a good conductor of heat and can be used to heat water. However, caution should be taken as aluminium can react with water and release hydrogen gas, which can be dangerous.

3. What is the best way to heat water using aluminium?

The best way to heat water using aluminium is to use a pot or pan made of aluminium on a stovetop or in an oven. This will ensure that the heat is evenly distributed and there is no risk of a reaction between the aluminium and the water.

4. Can water be used to cool down aluminium?

Yes, water can be used to cool down aluminium. When water is applied to hot aluminium, it absorbs the heat and causes the aluminium to cool down.

5. Is it safe to heat aluminium foil in the oven?

Yes, it is safe to heat aluminium foil in the oven. However, it is important to make sure that the foil is not in direct contact with the heating element to avoid any potential hazards. It is also recommended to only use aluminium foil that is specifically designed for oven use.