Need help running cygwin /grace

• Thread starter RockenNS42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, the person is trying to use the plotting tool Grace for their physics class, but is encountering an error while trying to open it. They ask for help and are advised to check for missing libraries and possibly reinstall them using the cygwin setup package. They may also need to rebase everything using "rebaseall".
RockenNS42
I need it for my physics class, we are running the plotting tool Grace.
I had it running on my computer (with some help)

So I think I may have downloaded everything I need to run grace,
but when I open up the cygwin terminal and type in xmgrace
it says

/usr/bin/xmgrace.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open share d object file: No such file or directory

any idea of what i have to do?
is there something I need to type in first? I think i may remember something like that... not sure

Computer science news on Phys.org
I had this problem as well. After some investigation it turned out that I was missing a library. Try running:

cygcheck /usr/bin/xmgrace.exe

and if it says something like:

cygcheck: track_down: could not find <something.dll>

then run the cygwin setup package and install/reinstall the package that DLL belongs to. (It's possible you may also have to rebase everything using "rebaseall" as well.)

Likes stoomart

1. How do I install Cygwin?

To install Cygwin, go to the official website and click on the "Install or Update Now!" button. Follow the prompts to download and run the installer. Choose the default settings and select the packages you want to install. Once the installation is complete, you can start using Cygwin.

2. What is the purpose of Cygwin?

Cygwin is a free and open-source software that provides a Unix-like environment and command-line interface for Windows. It allows users to run Unix tools and applications on Windows, providing a convenient way to develop and run programs that are not natively supported on Windows.

3. How do I run Grace in Cygwin?

To run Grace in Cygwin, you first need to install the Grace package using the Cygwin installer. Once the installation is complete, you can launch Grace by typing "grace" in the Cygwin terminal. You can also create a shortcut to Grace on your desktop for easy access.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with running Cygwin/Grace?

If you encounter any issues while running Cygwin or Grace, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Make sure you have the latest version of Cygwin installed.
  • Check that your system meets the minimum requirements for running Cygwin.
  • Ensure that you have installed all the necessary packages for Grace.
  • Try running Cygwin and Grace in compatibility mode.
  • If the issue persists, check online forums and support groups for possible solutions or seek help from a technical expert.

5. Can I use Cygwin and Grace on a Mac or Linux system?

No, Cygwin and Grace are designed specifically for Windows operating systems. However, there are similar tools available for Mac and Linux systems, such as Homebrew and Gnuplot. It is also possible to run Cygwin and Grace on a Mac or Linux system using virtualization software like VirtualBox or VMware.