Need help setting up Eqtn of motion.

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation is about setting up the equation of motion for a charged square plate in an electric field, taking into account the torque and the changing distance and force as the plate rotates. The equation of motion is given as \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{Q}{m}\left(\frac{E}{d^2}\right)\sin \theta.
robousy
Torque in Electric Field...need help with eqtns of motion...

Ok - I have a charged square plate Q with a weightless rod attached through the centre of the plane so that the plate can rotate like a propeller.

Half of the plate sits in an E field and so feels a torque.
The E field drops off as [tex] \frac{1}{r^2} [/tex]

I need to set up the equation of motion.

Now, I know that:

[tex] \Gamma = Fd [/tex]

My problem is that [tex]F=F(\theta) \:and\: d=d(\theta) [/tex]

i.e as the plate rotates less of it will feel the electric field - it will be completely half immersed in the E field at an angle of 0 deg (perp to field)and will feel the max force, and be at a min when the plate is parallel to the field and feel zero force.

Also as the plate rotates some if it will be closer to the E field and some of it will be further away so there is also the theta dependant distance.

Can anyone help me set up the eqtns of motion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of motion can be written as follows:\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{Q}{m}\left(\frac{E}{d^2}\right)\sin \theta Where m is the mass of the plate, E is the electric field and d is the distance between the center of the plate and the point where the electric field is applied.

Sure, I can help you with setting up the equations of motion for this problem. First, let's define some variables:

- Q: charge of the square plate
- m: mass of the square plate
- E: electric field strength
- r: distance from the center of the plate to the edge
- \theta: angle of rotation of the plate
- \Gamma: torque acting on the plate
- F: force on the plate due to the electric field
- d: distance from the center of the plate to the point where the force is applied

Now, let's break down the problem into two parts: the torque and the force.

1. Torque:

The torque acting on the plate is given by:
\Gamma = Fd

We know that the force, F, is dependent on the angle of rotation, \theta, and the distance, d, is also dependent on \theta. So, we can rewrite the equation as:
\Gamma = F(\theta)d(\theta)

2. Force:

The force on the plate due to the electric field is given by:
F = QE

Since the electric field drops off as \frac{1}{r^2}, we can rewrite this as:
F = Q\frac{E}{r^2}

Now, we need to find the distance, d, from the center of the plate to the point where the force is applied. We can use trigonometry to find this distance:
d = r\cos\theta

Substituting this into our equation for torque, we get:
\Gamma = Q\frac{E}{r^2}\cos\theta \times r\cos\theta

Simplifying, we get:
\Gamma = QEr\cos^2\theta

Finally, we can use the equation of motion for rotational motion:
\Gamma = I\alpha

Where I is the moment of inertia and \alpha is the angular acceleration. Since we are dealing with a plate that can rotate like a propeller, the moment of inertia is given by:
I = \frac{1}{2}mr^2

Substituting this into our equation, we get:
QEr\cos^2\theta = \frac{1}{2}mr^2\alpha

Solving for \alpha, we get:
\alpha = \frac{2QEr\cos^2\theta}{mr^2}

And

1. What is an equation of motion?

An equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It is used to describe the motion of an object and can be used to predict its future position and velocity.

2. How do I set up an equation of motion?

To set up an equation of motion, you first need to identify the variables involved in the motion, such as position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, use the appropriate equation(s) depending on the type of motion (e.g. constant acceleration, free fall) and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the basic equations of motion?

The basic equations of motion are:
- Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
- Velocity: v = v0 + at
- Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t
where x is position, x0 is initial position, v is velocity, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

4. What are the units for position, velocity, and acceleration?

The SI units for position are meters (m), for velocity are meters per second (m/s), and for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s2).

5. How can I use equations of motion in real-world situations?

Equations of motion can be used in various real-world situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the acceleration of a car, or predicting the position of a moving object at a specific time. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and analyze motion.