1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help simplifying a trigonometric equation; arctan(cot(x)), assuming 0<x<pi/2

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Hello, I need help trying to simplify the equation below, I believe it should be in terms of x and constants only, no trigonometry.

"Simplify arctan(cot(x)), assuming 0<x<pi/2"

After many attempted solutions and failures, my most recent attempt is below.

let arctan(1/tanx) = u
    ==> tan u = 1/tanx
    ==> tan u*tan x = 1

This is really the most I can get up to.

Thanks Dylan.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    Is this associated with a trig substitution you did while solving an integral?

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    No this not associated with any integration, the whole question that I was given is what is in the quotation marks.

Thanks Dylan.

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4
    The solution has been found "(Pi/2) - x", just realized that my many hours or stressing was because 'pi' was not written with a capital 'Pi' and syntax would not recognize it.

Thanks Dylan.

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5
    Draw a right triangle. Put x as one of the angles (but not the right angle.) Now, think of these things:

1) cot = adj/opp
    2) tan = opp/adj

Now, let y be the other non-right angle. What is the relationship between x and y? What is the relationship between cotx and tany?

7. Mar 29, 2012 #6
    OK good. But do you understand it? Or did you just put it into mathematica or something?

8. Mar 29, 2012 #7
    No I did understand it, I substituted 'cot x = tan(Pi/2 -x)' into my equation, which was my first attempt of many.
    Thanks anyway for your help,
    Dylan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook