Simplifying arctan(cot(x)) to Terms of x and Constants

In summary, the conversation is about trying to simplify the equation arctan(cot(x)) assuming 0<x<pi/2. The person asking for help has attempted multiple solutions and their most recent attempt is using the substitution u=arctan(1/tanx). They also discuss the relationship between cotx and tany and the solution is eventually found to be (Pi/2) - x. The person expressing their gratitude for the help mentions that syntax was not recognizing the 'pi' because it was not written with a capital 'Pi'. They also mention understanding the solution and not using a software program.
fatlady1ac
Hello, I need help trying to simplify the equation below, I believe it should be in terms of x and constants only, no trigonometry.

"Simplify arctan(cot(x)), assuming 0<x<pi/2"

After many attempted solutions and failures, my most recent attempt is below.

let arctan(1/tanx) = u
==> tan u = 1/tanx
==> tan u*tan x = 1

This is really the most I can get up to.

Thanks Dylan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this associated with a trig substitution you did while solving an integral?

No this not associated with any integration, the whole question that I was given is what is in the quotation marks.

Thanks Dylan.

The solution has been found "(Pi/2) - x", just realized that my many hours or stressing was because 'pi' was not written with a capital 'Pi' and syntax would not recognize it.

Thanks Dylan.

Draw a right triangle. Put x as one of the angles (but not the right angle.) Now, think of these things:

1) cot = adj/opp
2) tan = opp/adj

Now, let y be the other non-right angle. What is the relationship between x and y? What is the relationship between cotx and tany?

Likes Peti0401
fatlady1ac said:
The solution has been found "(Pi/2) - x", just realized that my many hours or stressing was because 'pi' was not written with a capital 'Pi' and syntax would not recognize it.

Thanks Dylan.

OK good. But do you understand it? Or did you just put it into mathematica or something?

No I did understand it, I substituted 'cot x = tan(Pi/2 -x)' into my equation, which was my first attempt of many.
Thanks anyway for your help,
Dylan.

What is arctan(cot(x))?

Arctan(cot(x)) is a trigonometric function that represents the inverse tangent of the cotangent of x. In other words, it is the angle whose cotangent is equal to x.

How do you simplify arctan(cot(x)) to terms of x and constants?

To simplify arctan(cot(x)), we use the identity arctan(cot(x)) = x. This means that the inverse tangent of the cotangent of x is simply equal to x.

Why is it important to simplify arctan(cot(x))?

Simplifying arctan(cot(x)) allows us to express the function in a simpler and more manageable form. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between the trigonometric functions involved.

Can arctan(cot(x)) be further simplified?

No, arctan(cot(x)) is already in its simplest form. It cannot be simplified any further.

What are some real-world applications of arctan(cot(x))?

Arctan(cot(x)) is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate angles and distances in right triangles. It is also used in navigation and astronomy to determine the position of objects in the sky.