Read the dimensions correctly in order to find the forces

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in properly reading dimensions in order to find forces. The individual is struggling with determining the correct values for B, C, and D and is seeking advice on how to approach the problem. After doing extensive research and watching videos, they have come to the realization that an easier method is to find points A and B and subtract them to determine the correct values.
joker2014
It statics, I am having difficulty on getting perfect to read the dimensions correctly in order to find the forces!

This photo for example

media%2F942%2F942137b8-2360-4fe4-8258-a6d7d240e8ea%2Fimage.jpg

I put B = (-3i,-2j, -6k) but correct answer is (3i,-2j,-6k) ... why 3i but not 3i ?! I'm reeally confused

For C I put -1i but correct answer is 3i !.. how?!?

for D I added the 1 and 2 and i put -3i , and I put -3j but correct is 3j ...

can anyone explain and give me easier way to approach the answer and avoid mistakes?! I have an exam on friday and this is basic thing that i can't seem to understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
For B, your positive x is coming toward you. Use the right-hand rule to keep your positive directions straight.
C looks like it is at -3i -1j .
D looks like it is at -2i and 3j.
Your i components need to find references on the x axis. Your j components need references on the y axis.

I don't get it

Look at C. The left-right line above it says that it is 1ft left of the x-axis. That means the y-component is -1.
The long line going through C crosses the segments marked 1ft and 2ft by D. This means that C is 3ft behind the y-axis, or the x component is -3.
Does that help?

I understand now after doing 99999 researches and watching 9999 videos... and easier and simple is to take AB for example, find points A and B, then subtract A-B and BINGO!

1. How do I read the dimensions correctly?

To read the dimensions correctly, you must first understand the units of measurement being used. Make sure to pay attention to whether the dimensions are in metric or imperial units. Next, determine the base unit for each dimension (e.g. meters for length, kilograms for mass). Finally, make sure to use the correct conversion factors when converting between units.

2. Why is it important to read the dimensions correctly?

Reading the dimensions correctly is important because it allows you to accurately calculate the forces at play in a system. Using incorrect dimensions can lead to incorrect calculations and potentially dangerous situations.

3. How do I know which dimensions to use for calculating forces?

In order to find the forces in a system, you must use the dimensions that are relevant to the problem at hand. For example, if you are calculating the force of gravity, you would need to use the dimensions of mass and distance. If you are calculating the force of friction, you would need to use the dimensions of mass, acceleration, and coefficient of friction.

4. What happens if I read the dimensions incorrectly?

If you read the dimensions incorrectly, you will likely end up with incorrect calculations for the forces in the system. This can lead to inaccurate predictions and potentially dangerous consequences. It is important to always double check your dimensions to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any common mistakes when reading dimensions for force calculations?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert between units when necessary. Another mistake is using the wrong dimensions for the problem at hand. It is also important to pay attention to the order of dimensions when using equations, as this can affect the final result.