1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help Solving for torque

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1
    I know this may be a simple problem but I don't understand it. Is there information missing or is it just me. Please help.

We have a motor capable of producing 10 n-m of torque. Attached to the motor is a gear with a PCD of 200 driving a gear with a PCD of 400. What is the torque exerted on the shaft of the driven gear?

PCD gear #1= 200
    PCD gear #2= 400
    Motor torque = 10 n-m

Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you know about the effect of gear ratio on torque?

4. Jul 4, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you have motor turning a small gear which turns a larger gear. The small gear is normally called the pinion, the larger gear is the driven gear.

No load is specified but presumably the question wants to know what is the maximum the torque could be produced at the output/driven gear gear.

Ever been on a bicycle?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  5. Jul 6, 2013 #4
    I don't have extensive knowledge about this subject. I do know that Torque = force x distance. I have the torque, but how do I get the distance?

We have a motor capable of producing 10 n-m of torque. Attached to the motor is a gear with a PCD of 200 driving a gear with a PCD of 400. What is the torque exerted on the shaft of the driven gear?

PCD gear #1= 200
    PCD gear #2= 400
    Motor torque = 10 n-m

6. Jul 6, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PCD = Pitch Circle Diameter

7. Jul 6, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need a distance. All you have to know is how gear ratio affects rotational velocity and consequently torque itself.

8. Jul 6, 2013 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What Steamking said.

You could work out the force at the teeth using T=Force * distance and then convert that back to torque for the other gear.... but once you have done that a few times you will see the short cut that allows you to work out the torque directly from the gear ratio (which can be deduced from the ratio of the diameters).

9. Jul 7, 2013 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted