Need Help with Solving for x? Learn How to Factor -3x^2+12x-9=0

• Thread starter kurosaki69
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a quadratic equation and the poster is stuck at factoring it. They are advised to divide both sides by -3 and use the quadratic formula if the factoring is difficult. The final solution is x=3,1.
kurosaki69

Homework Statement

-3x^2+12x-9=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to solve but I am stuck at factoring can i get a little help factoring it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing both sides of the eqn by -3 and see if it helps.

Was there a reason for putting this in the "Calculus and Beyond" section? I'm moving it to "PreCalculus".

Answer <if u didnt get it already>

the way 2 do it is this
-3x^2+12x-9=0
divide by -3 lik the other guy said
x^2-4x+3=0
x^2-x-3x+3=0
x(x-1)-3(x-1)=0
(x-1)(x-3)=0
x=3,1

For other harder problems where it is harder 2 factorize use the formula
for ax^2+bx+c=0
x={-b+-sprt(b^2-4ac)}/2a

1. How do I solve for x in an equation?

To solve for x in an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until x is by itself. For example, if you have the equation 3x + 5 = 20, you would first subtract 5 from both sides, then divide both sides by 3 to get x = 5.

2. What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are mathematical operations that "undo" each other. For example, addition and subtraction are inverse operations, as are multiplication and division. Using inverse operations is essential when solving for x in an equation.

3. Can you solve for x in any equation?

Not every equation can be solved for x. Some equations have multiple variables or do not have a clear solution. Additionally, some equations may have no real solutions. In these cases, it is not possible to solve for x.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations?

There are some common patterns and strategies that can make solving equations easier. One common strategy is to combine like terms before using inverse operations. Another helpful trick is to try to get x by itself on one side of the equation before solving. However, the most important thing is to understand the concept of inverse operations and know how to apply them correctly.

5. What do I do if I can't solve for x?

If you are struggling to solve for x, it may be helpful to review the concepts of inverse operations and try again. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources. In some cases, the equation may not have a solution or may require more advanced math skills to solve.