1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help solving for x

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have a mathematical problem coming from chemistry (dealing with pH). I've set everything up but can't do the math, I need the math steps to be shown to me.

How do you solve for x in this equation?
    (x + 1*10^-8) (x) = 1.0*10^-14

x should be equal to 9.5 x 10^-8, but what steps do you take to get this value? I have tried this problem for a while and keep getting stuck because there are 2 x's on the left side of the equation. I don't know where to begin anymore or what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

please do not double post.

see this thread.

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    (x + 1*10^-8) (x) = 1.0*10^-14
    x^2 + 1*10^-8x=1*10^-14
    x^2 + 1*10^-8x - 1*10^-14 =0

do you know quatratic formulas?

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    Sorry Integral, I posted and about 10 minutes later I thought I posted in the wrong section so I edited my post and decided maybe I should be posting my question here instead. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction for the solution (I looked at the other thread).

Thanks vincentchan, yes, I know the quadratic formula.
    - b +/- sqrt b^2 - 4(a)(c) over 2a
    I tried this at one point, but got confused and thought it was wrong. I'll try it again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?