What Determines How Far Sound Can Travel?

• Thread starter kth11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to physics and their respective properties. These include the effects of flattening a spherical meat ball on its volume and surface area, the factors that affect surface tension of liquids, the cooling mechanism in a refrigerator, the kinetic energy of a charge after being released from an electric field, and the relationship between wavelength and the propagation of sound. Additionally, the conversation also poses a question about the number of calories involved in different physical processes.
kth11
1. 3) Flatten a spherical meat ball and you increase its
A) Volume
B) Surface area
C )Both of these
D) Neither of these

4) Surface tension of liquids
a) Result from a thin molecular membrane on the liquid surface.
b) Increases when wetting agents are added
c) Is the reason a steel ship will float
d) Decreases as the liquid temperature increase
e) Is about the same for all liquids

6) The cooling effect inside a refrigerator is produced by
a) Vaporizing the refrigeration liquid
b) Proper insulation
c) An electric motor that converts electrical energy into internal energy
d) Compressing the refrigeration gas into a liquid.
e) None of these.

9) If you use 10j of work to push charge into an electric field and then release the charge, as it files past its starting position, its kinetic energy is
a) Less than 10 J
b) More than 10 J
c) 10 J

16)The wavelengths of sound that carry farther in air are relatively
a) Along
b) Short
c) No difference.

17) Which involves the larger number of calories?

a) The condensation of 1 gram of steam at 100 degree Celsius to 100 degree Celsius water
b) The change of state of 1 gram of 100 – degree- Celsius water to 1 gram of ice at absolute zero
c) both involve the same number of calories

The Attempt at a Solution

please provide answers with explanation. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
3) i think surface area will increase as the volume will decrease.
4) i am confused between option a and d as if we decrese the temperature the surface tension appears to increase
6) i think option a. as it takes the heat from the food and vaporizes the frezing material...
9) i think it should be 10j , the same as much energy we put to move it from this position.
16) this confuses me a bit.. if a wave has high frequency it has high energy, E=h*f right? but it also loses more energy as it propogates.. so high frequency waves( short wavelength) cannot propogate long distances.. so that makes the correct option a) long wavelengths wave can travel farther, am i doing right?

17) i have no idea where to start from..:S

1. What are MCQs?

MCQs stands for multiple choice questions. They are a type of test or assessment where a question or statement is followed by a list of possible answers, and the test-taker must choose the correct one.

2. How do I solve MCQs?

To solve MCQs, it is important to carefully read the question and all of the answer choices. Then, eliminate any answers that are obviously incorrect. Use any relevant information or knowledge to narrow down the remaining choices and select the correct answer.

3. What is the best way to prepare for MCQ exams?

The best way to prepare for MCQ exams is to practice solving similar questions. This will help you become familiar with the format and types of questions that may be asked. Additionally, review any relevant material and make sure you understand the concepts being tested.

4. Should I guess if I am unsure of the answer?

It depends on the scoring system of the exam. If there is no penalty for incorrect answers, it may be beneficial to make an educated guess. However, if there is a penalty for incorrect answers, it is best to only guess if you can eliminate at least one or two answer choices.

5. Can I use any outside resources to help me solve MCQs?

It depends on the specific exam or test guidelines. Some exams may allow the use of certain resources, such as a calculator or formula sheet, while others may not allow any outside resources. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions for the exam to avoid any penalties for using unauthorized resources.