Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help Solving These

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    I have these four questions I'm having trouble solving...
    Could anyone write the solutions, but with steps on how they did it so I can possibly learn! Thanks a lot

I'm pretty sure they use the binomial or poisson distribution formulas... can't get proper answers

1. In a large shipment of chips, 5% are defective. What is the probability that exactly two out of a sample of ten are defective?

2. On average, a system breaks down every 50hrs. Find the probability of more than two break-downs in a 24hr period.

3. Show that there are more families of 6 children split 4-2 than those with 3 boys and 3 girls.

4. People arrive at a bank at the rate of 60 per hour. Find the chance of getting 0,1,2 or 3 in the next minute.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You learn by doing things yourself. (1) is a "binomial distribution" problem, (2) and (4) are Poisson distribution, and (3) is just a matter of calculating the number of combinations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?