How Do You Solve a PDE Involving Heat Transfer in a Circular Heat Source?

• Thread starter mehsus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the temperature distribution along the length of a beaker filled with water and containing a circular heat source of given radius and thickness. The speaker mentions writing an energy balance equation and solving a PDE, getting stuck at the step of solving for the temperature distribution. They recommend trying separation of variables and mention that the resulting equation may be Bessel's equation in r.
mehsus
I have a circular heat source of inner radius r1 and r2=r1+Δr on top of a pcb board. This heat source is transferring heat along the radius and the length of the beaker which is say L. I have to find temperature distribution along the length of the beaker so T(r.z). The beaker is filled with water till the bottom of the pcb.

I considered a differential element of radius Δr and thickness Δz at a distance z from the bottom of the pcb. Now once I write the energy balance equation on the basis of steady state as:

Qz-Qz+Δz+Qr-Qr+Δr=0

There is no convection taking place.

I come to the PDE:

d^2T/dz^2+1/r(dt/dr)+d^2T/dr^2=0

I am stuck here in solving this PDE...please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried separation of variables? I.e., try to find solutions of the form ##T(r,z) = R(r) Z(z)##.

It looks to me that after you separate variables, you will get Bessel's equation in r.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know if a PDE can be solved?

The solvability of a PDE depends on its type and boundary conditions. Generally, linear PDEs with well-defined boundary conditions have solutions, while nonlinear PDEs may not have exact solutions and require numerical methods.

3. What methods can be used to solve a PDE?

There are several methods for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical techniques such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the PDE.

4. Can PDEs be solved analytically?

Some simple PDEs can be solved analytically, but most PDEs require numerical methods to find approximate solutions. Analytical solutions are often limited to linear PDEs with simple boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs are used to model a wide range of phenomena, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and population dynamics. They are also used in financial mathematics to model option pricing and in image processing to remove noise and enhance images.