How Do You Solve the Equation 2/3y + 8 = 1/4y?

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to approach a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and seek guidance from others. To improve problem-solving skills, it is important to practice and learn different strategies. When stuck on a problem, taking a break and seeking help from others can be beneficial. Communication is key when seeking help, and it is important to clearly and concisely explain the problem. After solving a problem, take a moment to reflect and apply newfound knowledge to future challenges.
vincentm
I need help solving this problem
2/3y + 8 = 1/4y

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So what have you tried ? (And do you mean (2/3)*y or 2/(3y) etc ?)

And is this homework ? Sticky at the top says this is a no-no in this forum, I'm afraid.

Sure, I can help you solve this problem. Firstly, we will need to get all the y terms on one side of the equation and the constants on the other side. To do this, we will subtract 1/4y from both sides of the equation.

2/3y + 8 - 1/4y = 1/4y - 1/4y

Next, we can simplify the left side by finding a common denominator for the fractions.

(8y + 24)/12 - (3y)/12 = 0

Now, we can combine the y terms on the left side.

(8y - 3y + 24)/12 = 0

Simplifying further, we get:

(5y + 24)/12 = 0

To isolate the y term, we will multiply both sides by 12.

5y + 24 = 0

Subtracting 24 from both sides, we get the final solution:

5y = -24

y = -24/5

Therefore, the solution to the equation is y = -24/5. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the best way to approach a problem when I need help solving it?

The best way to approach a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the specific issue you are struggling with and then brainstorm possible solutions. Consider seeking guidance from a mentor or collaborating with colleagues to get different perspectives and potential solutions.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice makes perfect! The more problems you solve, the better you will become at identifying patterns and finding creative solutions. Additionally, it can be helpful to learn problem-solving strategies and techniques, such as brainstorming, mind mapping, and trial and error.

What should I do if I am stuck on a problem and can't seem to find a solution?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can also be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask for help from others or do some research to gain new insights and ideas.

How can I effectively communicate my problem to others when seeking help?

When seeking help, it is important to clearly and concisely communicate the problem you are facing. Start by explaining the background and the specific issue you are struggling with. Be open to suggestions and feedback from others, and be sure to thank them for their help and support.

What should I do after I have solved a problem?

Congratulate yourself! Problem-solving is not always easy, and it takes perseverance and determination. Take a moment to reflect on the process and what you have learned from solving the problem. This will help you to apply your newfound knowledge and skills to future challenges.