Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help to build a pulse coil

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1
    Hi Guys,

I'm new on the forum so forgive me if this has been posted before. I'm kindly looking for some advise to build a pulse coil set up to spin a 13,00 gauss 1" diametrically magnetized magnet. I was hoping to use 120 volt rectified dc or the highest voltage that has readily available parts and quality components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

How does a "pulse coil" spin a cylindrical magnet? Can you show a diagram of what you are wanting to do? :smile:

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3
    It's a ring magnet on a shaft with bearings. In the most basic setup I could use is a drive coil a transistor and a trigger coil, but I was hoping to use a drive coil timed with a mechanical/infrared sensor. All that being said I am a layman and am having trouble figuring wire size # of turns and components required. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics from my library now. Thanks again!

5. Feb 18, 2016 #4

berkeman

Yeah, the UPLOAD button is in the lower right of the Reply dialog box.

Or you could find some similar images using Google Images and post links to those... :smile:

6. Feb 19, 2016 #5
    It's a ring magnet on a shaft with bearings. In the most basic setup I could use a drive coil a transistor and a trigger coil, but I was hoping to use a drive coil timed with a mechanical/infrared sensor. I can draw something up to show you what I'm thinking. All that being said I am a layman and am having trouble figuring wire size # of turns and components required.
    image.jpeg Here is the most basic set up. As I said earlier I'm trying to figure out anything even to get me close as far as number of winds and wire size required. By the nice stand up wheelie! Lol

7. Feb 19, 2016 #6

berkeman

So you're making some sort of motor? What's a ring magnet?

:smile:

8. Feb 19, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've removed the link to the video .

These motors seem to have come to the attention of the crackpot community on the web and there are many claims of the 'regeneration' of more power than has been put in .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  9. Feb 23, 2016 #8
    Well... If you consider Nikola Tesla to be a crack pot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook