Need help to choose school -

• Thread starter striky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the person is a foreign student looking to transfer to a university in the United States to obtain a bachelor's degree in Astronomy. They have been accepted to three universities and are deciding between the University of Kansas and the University of Hawaii at Hilo. Both schools have a good astronomy program, but the University of Kansas does not have its own observatory while the University of Hawaii does. However, the astronomy program at the University of Hawaii is relatively new. The person's goal is to get the best exposure and education in astronomy to prepare for graduate school. They are seeking feedback and are leaning towards the University of Hawaii due to its international atmosphere, but are concerned about the cost compared to the more affordable University of Kansas.
striky
Need help to choose school - URGENT

I'm a foreigner and currently looking forward to attend an institution in the United States as a transfer student to obtain a bachelor in Astronomy.

I got accepted to 3 universities. The thing is I'm not quite sure between 2 institutions: University of Kansas and University of Hawaii at Hilo

Both schools have a great astronomy program and both have its' cons. Though University of Kansas has an established astronomy program, they don't have their own observatory. From online reading, the skies are at Hawaii are great for stargazing which explains why they have a number of observatories. However, the astronomy program is quite new relative to University of Kansas.

Thus, I'm stuck. Both have great program. One with no observatory and another one is a new program.

My aim for my undergraduate degree is to get the best exposure to astronomy due to lack of exposure in my country and the best education to prepare me for graduate school. Since I'm a transfer student from abroad, I can't afford to switch schools there.

Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated. (>_<)

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm inclined towards Hawaii myself, though I've never actually been to their campus (but I've had a couple friends go there for their graduate Astro studies). Socially, I would imagine that Hawaii would have a more international flair than Kansas, and that might appeal to you.

I've visited Lawrence, Kansas a few times: it's a charming, but small, town. If you're from a large metropolitan area, then Kansas may not appeal to you. However, Kansas is MUCH more affordable than Hawaii--significantly more, in fact. You wouldn't have trouble affording an apartment within walking distance of campus, for example.

Question 1: What factors should I consider when choosing a school?

When choosing a school, it is important to consider factors such as the school's location, academic programs, extracurricular activities, class sizes, and overall reputation. It is also important to think about your personal preferences and goals, as well as any financial considerations.

Question 2: How can I research and compare different schools?

One way to research and compare different schools is to visit their websites and look at their academic programs, faculty, and campus resources. You can also read reviews and rankings from reliable sources such as college and university websites, as well as talk to current or former students about their experiences.

Question 3: Should I choose a school based on its ranking?

While rankings can be a helpful tool, they should not be the sole factor in choosing a school. It is important to also consider the specific programs and resources that are important to you, as well as the overall fit and feel of the school.

Question 4: How can I determine if a school is the right fit for me?

There are a few ways to determine if a school is the right fit for you. Visiting the campus, talking to current students, and attending information sessions or open houses are all great ways to get a feel for the school's culture and community. It is also important to research the school's academic programs and resources to see if they align with your interests and goals.

Question 5: What resources are available to help me make a decision?

There are many resources available to help you make a decision when choosing a school. Your high school guidance counselor, college fairs, and college admissions offices are all great sources of information. You can also use online resources such as college search engines and virtual campus tours to gather information and compare different schools.