1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help to show f(x)=x + cos x has an inverse w/out graph

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    I need to show that the function {f(x)= x + cos x} has an inverse without the use of a graph. The professor has asked us to think intuitively about this problem, and I am just at a loss. Any help would be most appreciated, as I am trying not to fail this class. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2
    You can tell how a function behaves without drawing a graph. Think about this: y=x has an inverse and y=x3 has an inverse, but y=x2 and y=cos(x) don't have global inverses. Have you learned about derivatives ? What is true about the first two functions that isn't true about the second two functions ?
    How could you get the graph of an inverse given the graph of a function ? What does the "vertical line test" mean ? What kind of test would you use for inverses ? How does this test connect with derivatives ?

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?