Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help to solve this cipher .

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    Need help to solve this cipher.....

Hi everyone,

ive been given the following cipher:

HSRFB YEIOG MVMMA RDETD AEOSE UIOII GHRAL BLIPE
    DIEJL TOBOR PALBT AWIAP TEATO DOTDU DWRIL KYUOI
    EYOEO YAIYN FINSH LSWRS FIENU ROWRI JSLKT SYMAL
    NWTTE OKNIL EAKIE NEEDN EAWTJ SSUEI EHMVE IMTES
    IADLI LEAKH MGCOD SRNIA ILWSE NEDET VLTFL DETAO
    OLWNE DTEAS IIHCD BCKDN CYHUN KEIGH HNLBC EIRFG N

(6 lines, 8 blocks on each line, 5 characters in each block, except last line having letter N standing alone)

and no hint is given. ive tried to do frequency analysis, it shows that letter E appears the most (29 times), then I (25) and then L,A,T,O. So i guess it is unlikely to be substitution cipher.

But then i dont know what to do next,ive tried transposition, but it didnt show any useful message.

could any one give me some advice to solve this cipher?

thanks,

PS: i reckon the last letter N,which stands separately from the block, could be the key,but i cant figure out how to use it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2010 #2
    Re: Need help to solve this cipher.....

Try to pin down the the language. Let's assume english. Run a single letter frequency count. If no luck, try di-graph then tri-graph frequency counts...look at the results carefully. I ran a frquency count on your message and it does follow the common pattern of a substatution cipher. Suggest you compair your frequency analysis with the letter frequency analysis of other languages. Becasue the frequency count show preference to certain letters over others, suggest this is not a machine cipher (Enigma), or an enciphered code (Dictionary Code).... If this was from a friend....what prob. words or subject should we look for? Hummm...Interesting! I shall endeavor to assist. At least I got you started. Keep me posted! BlackChamber

4. Dec 3, 2010 #3
    Re: Need help to solve this cipher.....

It's the railfence cypher with a depth of 3. Since this was a post necroed from 2006 I'm thinking I'm not spoiling anything by giving it away. With the spaces put back in:

he last words of ted bundy were id like you to give my love to my family and friends the last words of aileen wuornos were id just like to say im sailing with the rock and ill be back like independence day with jesus june like the movie big mothership and all ill be back the magic word is frangipanit

For example, at the start:
    Code (Text):

h . . . s . . . r
    . e . a . t . o .
    . . l . . . w . .

Only real question is if the t at the end is part of the password or goes in front of the "he" at the start to make "the". Probably, since "frangipani" is a real word.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?