Can You Solve ax+ay-xy=c for x and y Deterministically?

• Thread starter aravindsubramanian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, The conversation discusses the method of solving equations of the form ax+ay-xy=c or a(x+y)-xy=c, where a and c are known integers. The method involves rearranging the equation to solve for x and y, and choosing a value for y that satisfies the condition of (c-a^2) being divisible by a-y in order to find an integer solution for x. However, this method may not work for certain conditions, such as when x and y must be positive even integers and a is an odd integer. The conversation also includes a further derivation of the equation and a suggestion for finding a solution when the original method does not work.
aravindsubramanian
I need to solve the equations of type
ax+ay-xy=c (or) a(x+y)-xy=c

In this equation a & c are known.Whether is it possible to find x & y values using a deterministic method other than trial & error method

ex
127x+127y-xy=12732

I need to find x & y from this equation

Physics news on Phys.org
:confused: Do you mean to find solutions for x and y in integers or something?

Because otherwise you need a value of x and y and just rearrange to get:

[tex]x = \frac{c - ay}{a - y} \quad \text{or} \quad y = \frac{c - ax}{a - x}[/tex]

In this equation both x , y & c are integers only.

How we solve the equation by rearranging x or y by your method

Its results a ambiguous equation equation.We can't able to solve it.

Zurtex said:

[tex]x = \frac{c - ay}{a - y} \quad \text{or} \quad y = \frac{c - ax}{a - x}[/tex]

Finding a solution in integers is easy if you first choose y=a-1 or a+1 then solve for x

Last edited:
In this type of equation

1.x and y are the possitve even no integers between (a-1) and
(a-1)/2.
2.a is always a odd no.
3.c is always a even no.
So Ramsey We can't use your method.Thanks a lot for your reply

aravindsubramanian said:
In this type of equation

1.x and y are the possitve even no integers between (a-1) and
(a-1)/2.
2.a is always a odd no.
3.c is always a even no.
Hey, my solution solves the posted problem. Now you are adding further conditions!
I suggest that you take my method a step further and chose a even y dependent upon "a" such that a-y evenly divides c-ay

Last edited:
aravindsubramanian said:
Did you notice what he did?
He simply made those denominators (in the equations given by Zurtex) as 1.
This automatically makes x and y integers if a and c are integers.

-- AI

Zurtex said:

This can be simplified to

[tex]x = a + \frac{c - a^2}{a - y} [/tex]

Thus if either |a-x| or |a-y| can't = 1, |a-y| must be a factor of |a^2-c| between 1 and |a^2-c|. Since in the posted example, the factors of [tex]127^2[/tex] -12732 are 43 and 79, the only other solution set is |x| and |y| equal 127-43 or 84 and 127-79 or 48 respectively.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
This can be simplified to

Thus if either |a-x| or |a-y| can't = 1, |a-y| must be a factor of |a^2-c| between 1 and |a^2-c|. Since in the posted example, the factors of [tex]127^2[/tex] -12732 are 43 and 79, the only other solution set is |x| and |y| equal 127-43 or 84 and 127-79 or 48 respectively.

how do u derive the equation

[tex]x = \frac{c - ay}{a - y} = \frac{a(a - y) - a^2 + c}{a - y} = a + \frac{c - a^2}{a - y}[/tex]
Since you want to have an integer x, and you have a as an integer, this rearrangement shows that x is an integer if (c - a^2) is divisible by a - y. You have c, a, you can easily calculate c - a^2, from there you can solve for y, and then x.
Viet Dao,

Thank U very much

Thanks a lot for your reply

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It contains an equal sign, indicating that the expression on one side is equal to the expression on the other side.

2. What types of equations can be solved?

There are many types of equations that can be solved, such as linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic equations. The method used to solve each type of equation may vary.

3. How do I solve an equation?

The method for solving an equation depends on the type of equation. Generally, the goal is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations and properties.

4. What do I do if I get stuck while solving an equation?

If you get stuck while solving an equation, it can be helpful to review the basic rules of algebra and try to identify any mistakes you may have made. If you are still having trouble, consider seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

5. How can I check my solution to an equation?

To check your solution to an equation, simply plug the value of the variable into the original equation and see if both sides are equal. If they are, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and see if the solution corresponds to the point of intersection.