How far does the car skid before coming to a rest

• Thread starter alex7298
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Rest
In summary: For part (b), Uk=(Fk)/(Fn) where Uk=.30, and Fn=Wsin(theta)...which now that i look at it doesn't seem rightyou must convert your weight ... lb to kgN = (kg*m)/s^2N= (kg*m)/s^2i did, its 25.5kgN= (kg*m)/s^2i did, its 25.5kgthat's not what i gothow about 113.40kg.but for the inlined rope the x-comp. is Wsin(25) and the y-comp. is Wcos(25) so x comp=105
alex7298

Homework Statement

Traveling at a speed of 58.0 km/h, the driver of a car locks the wheels by slamming on the brakes. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.720. How far does the car skid before coming to a rest

Homework Equations

f=ma?
uk=Fk/Fn
??

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know where to start because no mass is given

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the mass equal an arbitrary value m. Start working with what you know and see if anything happens to the mass. You might not need it after all.

i think i should be using an equation that would make the masses cancel, but i don't know what equation that is

What do you know about the frictional force?

You probably (or you probably should) know that it is equal to uN where u = coefficient of friction and N = mg.

Being that this is the only force acting in the horizontal direction, what can you say about the net force and, thus, the acceleration of the car?

Take it one step further and you've got the solution.

lol I am still drawing a blank because of that mass
Fk=(.720)(m)(9.8m/s^2)
you can't put zero for mass and i don't see how can go away or how to solve for it...??

If you know friction is the only force acting and that is [itex] F = \mu_k mg [/itex] and that force is also [itex] F= ma[/itex] I can easily see how the mass will cancel and you can solve for acceleration.

ok
so ukmg=ma
uk(g)=a
a=(.720)(9.8m/s^2), a=7.056m/s^2
the question is find the distance it takes to stop...i know final velocity, acceleration, and am looking for distance which means i need initial velocity...?

o lol
nvm
forgot to read back through to find initial velocity

alex7298 said:
ok
so ukmg=ma
uk(g)=a
a=(.720)(9.8m/s^2), a=7.056m/s^2
the question is find the distance it takes to stop...i know final velocity, acceleration, and am looking for distance which means i need initial velocity...?

Which is given, can you solve it now?

yep
thanks...there may be more questions coming soon.
have a huge test tomorrow and i don't really understand this stuff

well this is what i did

[tex]v^{2}=v_{0}^{2}+2a_{x}(x-x_{0})[/tex]

solve for x

x-initial & v-final = 0

[tex]\Sigma{F_{x}}=ma_{x}[/tex]
[tex]-\mu_{k}N=ma_{x}[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma{F_{y}}=0[/tex]
[tex]N=mg[/tex]

plug in normal in the X solve for acceleration, and plug that into the first equation, and don't forget to convert your initial velocity.

what about
"a 250lb block rests on a horizontal table. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and table is .30. What force is required to pull the block at a constant speed if (a) a horizontal rope is attached, or if (b) the rope makes an angle of 25 above the horizontal.

for part (a) used (.30)(250)=75N whichh is the frictional force..is that the final answer?

For part (b) i used Uk=(Fk)/(Fn) where Uk=.30, and Fn=Wsin(theta)...which now that i look at it doesn't seem right

you must convert your weight ... lb to kg

N = (kg*m)/s^2

i did, its 25.5kg

alex7298 said:
i did, its 25.5kg
that's not what i got

how about 113.40kg.
but for the inlined rope the x-comp. is Wsin(25) and the y-comp. is Wcos(25) so x comp=105.65 and y-comp=229.58 and pythag gets you back to 250.0008278...? I am lost

you don't need the Pythagorean theorem. solve it the same way you solve for F in part a.

look at your forces in the X and Y, and then solve 1 equation and plug into the other.

Uk=(Fk)/(Fn)
Fn would be Wcos(25) so (.30)(250cos(25))=Fk=67.97 which is less than 75 (from part a) and my teacher said it would be SLIGHTLY less, so maybe...? assuming my part a is right

anyone?

1. How is the distance a car skids calculated?

The distance a car skids before coming to a rest is calculated by multiplying the square of the car's initial speed by the coefficient of kinetic friction and dividing it by twice the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the distance a car skids?

The distance a car skids is affected by the car's initial speed, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road surface, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the type of road surface affect the distance a car skids?

Yes, the type of road surface can affect the distance a car skids. Different road surfaces have varying coefficients of kinetic friction, which can impact the distance a car skids before coming to a rest.

4. Is the weight of the car a factor in how far it skids?

Yes, the weight of the car can affect how far it skids. Heavier cars have more momentum and may take longer to come to a complete stop, resulting in a longer skidding distance.

5. Can the distance a car skids be predicted?

Yes, the distance a car skids can be predicted using the above mentioned formula. However, other factors such as the condition of the road, the condition of the car's tires, and external forces like wind or other vehicles can also impact the skidding distance.