Need help translating from Physics to English

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem in which a speeder passes a parked police car at a constant speed and the police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration. The speaker asks for clarification on the given terms and thanks the expert for their help in understanding the problem. They also make a joke about the difficulty of understanding physics problems.
willworkforfood
I don't speak Physics, so I strongly request one of you gurus out there to tell me precisely what it means. I don't want any answers (please) or hints towards working the problem, because I should be doing all of that myself. Rather, I want to know what the given terms mean.

The question "A speeder passes a parked police car at a constant speed of 39.3 m/s. At that instant the police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration of 2.03m/s^2. How much time t in seconds passes before the speeder is overtaken by the police car?"

For practical purposes of this problem, can I assume "speed" to be equivalent to velocity? Is uniform acceleration the same thing as constant acceleration? Finally, when they say the speeder is "overtaken" by the police car, do they mean when the two position values are equal to each other and to find that corresponding t value?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
willworkforfood said:
For practical purposes of this problem, can I assume "speed" to be equivalent to velocity?
Velocity is the vector, speed the absolute value (so the magnitude). Since all the movement happens in one direction, you may do so.

willworkforfood said:
Is uniform acceleration the same thing as constant acceleration?
Yes :smile:

willworkforfood said:
Finally, when they say the speeder is "overtaken" by the police car, do they mean when the two position values are equal to each other and to find that corresponding t value?
Yes, you probably won't have to take the length of the cares into account, just consider them as points.

Thanks for the help, figuring out what these dirty questions ask for is over half the battle :P

Glad I could help. Strange that you encounter such troubles though, your English seems well enough :smile:

I was pretty sure on the first two questions but I was guessing on the last one, I get overly worried and make stupid mistakes on these things usually

willworkforfood said:
The question "A speeder passes a parked police car at a constant speed of 39.3 m/s. At that instant the police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration of 2.03m/s^2. How much time t in seconds passes before the speeder is overtaken by the police car?"
Just find how long it takes the cop to catch the bloody speeder!
:cool:

Severian596 said:
Just find how long it takes the cop to catch the bloody speeder!
:cool:

HAhAHa :rofl:

1. What does "translating from Physics to English" mean?

Translating from Physics to English refers to the process of explaining complex scientific concepts or theories from the field of physics in simpler, more easily understandable terms for those who may not have a strong background in the subject.

2. Why is it important to be able to translate from Physics to English?

Being able to translate from Physics to English is important because it allows for effective communication and understanding between scientists and non-scientists. It also helps to bridge the gap between the scientific community and the general public.

3. How do scientists determine which language to use when translating from Physics to English?

Scientists often use analogies, everyday examples, and visual aids to help explain complex concepts in physics. They also take into consideration the level of understanding of their audience and adjust their language accordingly.

4. Are there any challenges when translating from Physics to English?

Yes, there can be many challenges when translating from Physics to English. One of the main challenges is finding the right balance between being accurate and being understandable. Additionally, some concepts in physics may not have a direct translation in everyday language, making it difficult to explain them in simpler terms.

5. Can anyone translate from Physics to English?

While anyone can attempt to translate from Physics to English, it is best done by someone with a strong understanding of both the scientific concepts and the English language. It is important to accurately convey the information without oversimplifying or distorting it.