How Do You Further Simplify the Limit of a Square Root Expression?

• Thread starter pyrosilver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the given limit can be simplified to 1/(2√a) as h approaches 0. This is equivalent to the derivative of a^(1/2), which can be written as 1/(2a^(1/2)). It is important to note the difference in notation between 1/2*a^(1/2) and 1/(2a^(1/2)).
pyrosilver

Homework Statement

lim
[tex]_{}h\rightarrow0[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]) / h

3. ok so i multiplied by [tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]. The top simplified to a+ h -a, aka h. the bottom is h([tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]).

The h cancels, so I am left with

1 / ([tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]

how do i simplify this further?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to simplify any further, just note what happens as [itex]h \to 0[/itex]. :wink:

Supposedly I can simplify it to

----
2[tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]?

Which is what you get when you evaluate the limit as [itex]h \to 0[/itex].

It makes perfect sense as well that that is your answer. I am not sure of the extent of your understanding of differentiation, however, if you know enough, you should be able to recall that the derivative of a^(1/2) = 1/2a^(1/2) which is exactly what you got.

windwitch said:
It makes perfect sense as well that that is your answer. I am not sure of the extent of your understanding of differentiation, however, if you know enough, you should be able to recall that the derivative of a^(1/2) = 1/2a^(1/2) which is exactly what you got.

A clearer way of writing this would be a^(1/2) = 1/(2a^(1/2)). A literal reading of what you wrote would be 1/2*a^(1/2); that is, the fractional power would be in the numerator, which I'm sure you didn't intend.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is expected to reach as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you calculate a basic limit?

To calculate a basic limit, you need to substitute the given value into the function and simplify. If the function is undefined at that value, you may need to use algebraic techniques, such as factoring or rationalizing the denominator, to simplify the expression and determine the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches the given value from one direction (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as its input approaches the given value from both directions.

4. Can limits exist at discontinuities?

No, limits cannot exist at discontinuities. A discontinuity occurs when a function is not continuous at a specific point, meaning that there is a sudden jump or break in the graph. Since a limit represents the value that a function is expected to reach, it cannot exist at a point where the function is not defined.

5. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values at certain points. They also serve as the foundation for more advanced concepts in calculus, such as derivatives and integrals.