1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help trying to do basic limit

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim
    [tex]_{}h\rightarrow0[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]) / h

3. ok so i multiplied by [tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]. The top simplified to a+ h -a, aka h. the bottom is h([tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]).

The h cancels, so I am left with

1 / ([tex]\sqrt{a+h}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]

how do i simplify this further?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

No need to simplify any further, just note what happens as [itex]h \to 0[/itex]. :wink:

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Supposedly I can simplify it to

----
    2[tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]?

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Which is what you get when you evaluate the limit as [itex]h \to 0[/itex].

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5
    It makes perfect sense as well that that is your answer. I am not sure of the extent of your understanding of differentiation, however, if you know enough, you should be able to recall that the derivative of a^(1/2) = 1/2a^(1/2) which is exactly what you got.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A clearer way of writing this would be a^(1/2) = 1/(2a^(1/2)). A literal reading of what you wrote would be 1/2*a^(1/2); that is, the fractional power would be in the numerator, which I'm sure you didn't intend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook