1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help; vectors problem

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    The problem reads:
    "See if you can devise a METHOD (not a numerical answer) of measuring the distance from your physics laboratory to some outside feature (flag-pole, church steeple, etc.) WITHOUT leaving the building. If the object is less than a half-mile distant the job can be done within about 10%, using ONLY a protractor, meter stick, and drawing a vector diagram to scale."

I understand vectors and all, and I understand what the question is asking. I've tried working out trig functions on paper (since this is a right triangle in which you can measure the angle from the ground to the top of the "outside feature"), but there are just too many unknown variables to actually come up with an equation or relationship among them.

I would much appreciate any suggestions or assistance!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if you measured the angle to the top of the object from next to the window and then 1 meter away from the window?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?