Need help w/ centripetal acceleration lab questions

In summary, the centripetal acceleration of a rider in the spinout amusement ride is about 29.4m/s^2.
ballahboy
These questions are from a lab we just did.
1. Why is an unbalanced force required to produce circular motion?

2. The ratio of squared velocity to radius is a constant. In other words, the centripetal acceleration did not change as the radius changed. Explain.

3. In an amusement park ride called the spinout, riders are positioned against the inside wall of a rotating drum. The drum begins to rotate and after a certain rotational speed is reached, the floor is lowered and the riders remain in position and do not fall. The diameter of the chamber is 4.3 meters and the period of rotation is 1.7 seconds. What is the centripetal acceleration of the rider? Approximately how many g's does the rider experience?
For this one, i got centripetal acceleration to equal 29.4m/s^2. Not sure if its correct but i don't know how to find the second part of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about the first two questions? Show us a little of what you have reasoned through and your process for #3.

Um.. i wasnt sure about how to do #1 and 2 so i asked. And for #3 i found the velocity by using 2pi*r/t and got 7.95m/s. Then i used centripetal acc.=v^2/r and got 29.4m/s^2. Wasnt sure what the second question is asking.

1. When something is moving in circular motion, it is constantly changing direction. Since velocity is a vector quantity, it has both magnitude and direction. What can you, therefore, conclude about objects in circular motion?

Now also consider that [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

2. This comes from [tex]\vec{a}_{centripetal}=\frac{\vec{v}^{2}}{r}[/tex]. Basically what happens is accleration doesn't change because when you change the radius the velocity changes as well, making velocity squared divided by radius a consant (acceleration).

You also know that [tex]\vec{F}_{centripetal}=\frac{m\vec{v}^{2}}{r}[/tex], and [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=m\vec{a}[/tex]. Can you explain what is happening?

3. Didn't check your answer but your method looks correct. For the second part, g=9.81 m/s^2, so how many "g"s do the people experience?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

What factors affect centripetal acceleration?

The factors that affect centripetal acceleration are the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. As the speed or radius increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. Similarly, a heavier object will experience a greater centripetal acceleration compared to a lighter object at the same speed and radius.

How is centripetal acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent to the circle. They are perpendicular to each other and together they make up the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to centripetal force, according to Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). In other words, the greater the centripetal force acting on an object, the greater the centripetal acceleration it will experience.

How can centripetal acceleration be measured in a lab?

Centripetal acceleration can be measured in a lab using a device called a centrifuge. This device spins objects in a circular motion at a constant speed, allowing for the measurement of the centripetal acceleration experienced by the object. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.