1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help w/ physics problem!

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Can u help me solve this HS Physics problem?

Any help will be appreciated! :smile:

1.) An object travels in a straight line at a uniform velocity of 10 m/s for 3 seconds and then travels for 2 seconds at constant speed of 5 meters per second in the same direction. Calculate the total distance traveled.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I move at 10 m/s, that means I move a distance of 10 metres every second. So if I travel at that velocity for 3 whole seconds, how far have I gone? Do you see that d = vt is all you need for this problem. More importantly, do you see why it applies from my description?

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4
    lol becareful distance and displacement displacement is a vector

6. Nov 1, 2004 #5

$id

He does mention its in the same direction. If you have graph of the above data, then the area under the graph equals distance travelled(speed-time graph)

7. Nov 1, 2004 #6
    so i haev 2 answers one 50 mph and one 65 mph , they probley are both wrong, but i used two different equations and obtained two different answers!?

8. Nov 1, 2004 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So how far does it travel in those first 3 seconds?
    And how far does it travel in these 2 seconds?

So... what's the total distance traveled?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook