Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help w/ physics problem!

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Can u help me solve this HS Physics problem?

Any help will be appreciated! :smile:

1.) An object travels in a straight line at a uniform velocity of 10 m/s for 3 seconds and then travels for 2 seconds at constant speed of 5 meters per second in the same direction. Calculate the total distance traveled.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I move at 10 m/s, that means I move a distance of 10 metres every second. So if I travel at that velocity for 3 whole seconds, how far have I gone? Do you see that d = vt is all you need for this problem. More importantly, do you see why it applies from my description?

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4
    lol becareful distance and displacement displacement is a vector

6. Nov 1, 2004 #5

$id

He does mention its in the same direction. If you have graph of the above data, then the area under the graph equals distance travelled(speed-time graph)

7. Nov 1, 2004 #6
    so i haev 2 answers one 50 mph and one 65 mph , they probley are both wrong, but i used two different equations and obtained two different answers!?

8. Nov 1, 2004 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So how far does it travel in those first 3 seconds?
    And how far does it travel in these 2 seconds?

So... what's the total distance traveled?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?