1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with 2 calc problems

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    I'm having a little trouble with 2 problems because the day that they went over the problems i was out of school and my freakin teachers is never there after school to help me.

1) A particle moves along the parabola y = x^2 from the point (1,1) to the point (x,y) Show that (change in)y/(change in)x = x +1

2) Consider a circle of a radius 5, centered at (1,2). Find an equation of the line tangent to the circle at the point (-2, 6). Describe th procedure that you used to get your answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The particle will move from (1, 1) to (x, x2) since y= x2.

Okay, y has changed from 1 to x2. What is the "change in y"? How much does y change?

x has changed from 1 to x. What is the "change in x"? How much does x change?

If you can answer those, just divide!

There are two ways I can think of two answer (2). One of them involves writing the equation of the circle and using "implicit differentiation" to find the slope of the tangent line- you may not be ready for that.

The other is- find the slope of the line from (1,2) to (-2, 6), a radius of the circle. The tangent line at (-2, 6) must be perpendicular to that radius. Do you know how to find the slope of a line perpendicular to a given line (and you know the slope of that line)? After you know the slope of the tangent line and that it goes through (-2, 6) it should be easy to find the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?