Solving for Tension & Minimum Angle: Mistakes to Avoid in Physics Problems

• Thread starter Scirel
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed two problems: 1) finding the tension in a wire holding up a scaffold with a box on one end and 2) finding the minimum angle at which a ladder will not slip against a frictionless wall. For the first problem, the correct setup is 6.8*t=520*9.8*4.8+110*9.8*6.8/2, and for the second problem, the correct setup is Nf*L/2*sin(90-theta)=Us*Nf*L*sin(theta). The answer for the first problem is 8.0178 m/s, and the answer for the second problem is arctan(1/(2*Us)).
Scirel
1.A 110 kg scaffold is 6.8 m long. It is hanging with two wires, one from each end. A 520 kg box sits 2 m from the left end. What is the tension in the left wire?(g = 9.8 m/s2)

For this one I tried using:

6.8 *t=460*9.8*4.8+110*9.8*6.8/2

and solving for t, but I for some reaosn get the wrong answer. What is wrong with my setup?

2.A uniform ladder of mass (m) and length (L) leans against a frictionless wall, see figure. If the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground is 0.48, what is the minimum angle (q) between the ladder and the floor at which the ladder will not slip?

For this one, I tried:

Nf*L/2*sin(90-theta)=Us*Nf*L/2*sin(theta)

and solving for theta, but this seems wrong as well. What is wrong with my setup?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scirel said:
1.A 110 kg scaffold is 6.8 m long. It is hanging with two wires, one from each end. A 520 kg box sits 2 m from the left end. What is the tension in the left wire?(g = 9.8 m/s2)

For this one I tried using:

6.8 *t=460*9.8*4.8+110*9.8*6.8/2

and solving for t, but I for some reaosn get the wrong answer. What is wrong with my setup?
Where did you get 460?

2.A uniform ladder of mass (m) and length (L) leans against a frictionless wall, see figure. If the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground is 0.48, what is the minimum angle (q) between the ladder and the floor at which the ladder will not slip?

For this one, I tried:

Nf*L/2*sin(90-theta)=Us*Nf*L/2*sin(theta)

and solving for theta, but this seems wrong as well. What is wrong with my setup?
Why is there an L/2 on both sides?

OOPS! I`m such an idiot. That was supposed to be the mass. If 460 is repalced with 520, will the problem be correct?

2. I thought I needed to meansure the length from where mg affects the ladder, in the middle. Also I`m having trouble since the only value given is the coefficient of friction.

Scirel said:
1. OOPS! I`m such an idiot. That was supposed to be the mass. If 460 is repalced with 520, will the problem be correct?
Yes.

2. I thought I needed to meansure the length from where mg affects the ladder, in the middle.
Correct. So the torque produced by the weight of the ladder will have an L/2. But what about the other torque?

Also I`m having trouble since the only value given is the coefficient of friction.
That's all you need. Everything else drops out.

Correct. So the torque produced by the weight of the ladder will have an L/2. But what about the other torque?

Wait.. is it just L?

Scirel said:
Wait.. is it just L?
Yes. The other torque (produced by the normal force of the wall on the top of the ladder) will contain a factor of L, not L/2.

So, the equation:

Nf*L/2*sin(90-theta)=Us*Nf*L*sin(theta)

Will solve the problem?

Making this L/2*cos(theta)=Us*L*sin(theta)

then

1/2=Us*tan(theta)

then
1/(2*Us)=tan(theta) and finally:

arctan(1/(2*Us))=theta?

Also, just to be sure, is the answer to:

It takes a force of 90 N to compress the spring of a toy popgun 0.1 m to "load" a 0.14 kg ball. With what speed will the ball leave the gun?

this:

Scirel said:
So, the equation:

Nf*L/2*sin(90-theta)=Us*Nf*L*sin(theta)

Will solve the problem?

Making this L/2*cos(theta)=Us*L*sin(theta)

then

1/2=Us*tan(theta)

then
1/(2*Us)=tan(theta) and finally:

arctan(1/(2*Us))=theta?
Yes.

Also, just to be sure, is the answer to:

It takes a force of 90 N to compress the spring of a toy popgun 0.1 m to "load" a 0.14 kg ball. With what speed will the ball leave the gun?

this:

Yes (in m/s). (Assuming it's fired horizontally.)

1. How do I identify the problems that I need help with?

To identify the problems that you need help with, start by clearly defining your research question. Then, break down your question into smaller, more specific problems that need to be addressed in order to answer the main question. This will help you identify the specific areas where you need assistance.

2. How do I know if I need help with a problem or if I can solve it on my own?

If you are unsure whether you need help with a problem, try to solve it on your own first. If you find yourself struggling or unable to find a solution, then it may be time to seek help. It's always better to reach out for assistance sooner rather than later.

3. How can I find someone to help me with my problems?

There are several ways to find someone to help you with your problems. You can ask for recommendations from colleagues or professors, reach out to experts in your field through professional networks or conferences, or seek help from online forums and communities.

4. What should I do if I can't find anyone to help me with my problems?

If you are having trouble finding someone to help you with your problems, don't give up. Keep reaching out to different sources and networks until you find someone who is willing and able to assist you. You can also consider hiring a tutor or seeking help from a research consultant.

5. How can I make sure that the help I receive is reliable and accurate?

To ensure that the help you receive is reliable and accurate, make sure to thoroughly research and verify the credentials and expertise of the person offering assistance. It's also important to clearly communicate your expectations and needs, and to ask for references or examples of their previous work. Be cautious of anyone who promises quick or guaranteed solutions.