Mastering Derivatives: How to Solve a Complex Chain Rule Problem

• Thread starter soccerboy2209
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with a derivative problem involving a square root inside a square root. They are having trouble entering the correct solution into a computer program and are trying different methods, including using parentheses and the chain rule, to solve it. The student is also receiving a hint from their college professor.
soccerboy2209
Need Help with a Derivative!

Homework Statement

{6x+[8x^(1/2)]}^(1/2)

Homework Equations

I know its chain rule with a square root inside a square root but i can not seem to get the right answer to enter into the computer program my college uses

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

So you want help to rewrite it in a way that will work in the program?
Try entering it with just parentheses ().

No i can not seem to get the solution

The square root inside a square root is throwing me off

Is this what it looks like?

[tex]\sqrt{6x + 8\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

no the 8 is also inside the inner square root

You didn't use parentheses correctly, then. 8x needs to be in parentheses.

{6x+[(8x)^(1/2)]}^(1/2)

Ok but that is the problem and i need the solution

How are you entering it into the program?

(1/2){[6+(8x)^(1/2)]^(-1/2)}{6+(4x)^(-1/2)]

Have you tried with just parentheses () and no square brackets [] or curly braces {} ?

yes but this provides me with the answer i have worked out which is (1/2){6+(8x)^(1/2)]^(-1/2)}[6+(1/2)(8x)^(-1/2)](1/2)[(8x)^(-1/2)](8) and the hint says "You start
with (6x+(8x)^.5))^.5. The inside is (6x+(8x)^.5). So, use the chain
rule on that. Once you have that and have to take the derivative of the
inside, then you need to also do the chain rule with the inside of 8x."

So you're having trouble doing it by hand on paper?

i guess..if my answer doesn't look right, but i believe i am getting the right answer

1. What is the purpose of mastering derivatives?

The purpose of mastering derivatives is to be able to solve complex chain rule problems, which involve finding the derivative of a function that has multiple nested functions within it. This skill is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the chain rule and why is it important?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is important because many functions in real-world applications are composed of multiple functions, and the chain rule helps us find the rate of change or slope of these complex functions.

3. How do I apply the chain rule to solve a complex problem?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. It is helpful to use the notation of u and v to represent the inner and outer functions, respectively.

4. What are some tips for mastering derivatives?

Some tips for mastering derivatives include practicing regularly, understanding the basic rules of differentiation, and being familiar with common functions and their derivatives. It is also helpful to work through a variety of problems, including both simple and complex ones.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving chain rule problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving chain rule problems include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not properly identifying the outer and inner functions, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chain rule and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.