Need Help With a Double Integral

In summary, we have a double integral that needs to be solved. The integral in question is \int_0^{1}\int_{arcsiny}^{\pi/2} sec^2(cosx) dxdy and the problem solver is advised to change the order of integration. After some trial and error, it is determined that the limits should be changed to f(x) < y < g(x) and a < x < b, where a and b are constants. With this change, the integral becomes \int_0^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{sinx} sec^2(cosx) dydx, which can then be solved using u substitution. A graph of the region is also provided
Ithryndil
[SOLVED] Need Help With a Double Integral

Any help on the following integral would be appreciated. I don't know where to begin at all.

[tex]
\int_0^{1}\int_{arcsiny}^{\pi/2} sec^2(cosx) dxdy
[/tex]

I've thought about changing the order of integration, but I don't think that will help. I am not asking someone to solve this at all, just to point me in the right direction. Thanks for any and all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't put it on paper but looks crazy.

Try changing it to cosine and then using double angle identity.

Last edited:
I don't even know where to begin. Yes the integral of sec^2(x) is tan(x)...but you can't do that.

Ithryndil said:
I've thought about changing the order of integration, but I don't think that will help.

Hi Ithryndil! :smile:

erm … don't think about changing the order of integration … do it! :rolleyes:

You'll find it works! :smile:

Well, I did it and do you have to write to different double integrals to describe the region?

(btw, it would help you if actually showed us what you've tried)

The chief problem in changing the order of integration is that you have to change the limits of the two integrals.

In this case, the limits are arcsiny < x < π/2 and 0 < y < 1.

You have to change this to the form f(x) < y < g(x) and a < x < b, where a and b are constants.

Hint: to find f and g, you must combine arcsiny < x with 0 < y < 1. :smile:

Yea, I know it would help but I had trouble last night with the coding...anyhow, when changing the order of integration I got the following which should be correct.

[tex]

\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{sinx} sec^2(cosx) dydx

[/tex]

[tex]

\int_0^{\pi/2} ysec^2(cosx) dx

[/tex]

The integral goes from 0 to sinx and you wind up getting

[tex]

\int_0^{\pi/2} sinxsec^2(cosx) dx

[/tex]

Then you let u = cosx and get du = -sinxdx. From there it's a u substitution. At least, that's what I believe...Like I said, last night I was having issues with the formatting not working out for the forums and so I didn't want to try and show all of my work.

Below is the graph of the region (Or should be provided I understand this right).

Attachments

• secant double integral.JPG
    secant double integral.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Yes … as you see, it's just a question of changing the limits (and not panicking)!

(I assume you meant [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \left[ysec^2(cosx)\right]_0^{sinx} dx[/tex], but couldn't do the latex?)

If you're happy, try putting x = θ (an angle), and plotting the area with coordinates y and θ: what do you get? :smile:

Yea, I couldn't do the latex...so I just put the little message below it.

Ithryndil said:
Yea, I couldn't do the latex...so I just put the little message below it.

Yes, I thought so … if you click on QUOTE under my post, you'll be able to copy the code for it.

(And you may like to bookmark http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000
and maybe http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node54.html#SECTION00830000000000000000
for more tips.)

Did you try the y,θ diagram? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a double integral and when is it used?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics, to solve problems involving multiple variables.

How do I set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you need to determine the limits of integration for both variables, as well as the integrand (the function being integrated). This can be done by visualizing the region of integration and breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes, or by using the appropriate formulas for specific shapes.

What are some common methods for evaluating a double integral?

The most common methods for evaluating a double integral include: rectangular, polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates. Each method has its own advantages and is chosen based on the shape of the region of integration and the complexity of the integrand.

What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some common applications include calculating volumes, finding mass and center of mass of objects, computing probabilities and averages, and solving problems involving electric fields and fluid flow.

What are some tips for solving double integrals?

Here are some tips for solving double integrals: 1) Understand the problem and visualize the region of integration, 2) Choose the appropriate coordinate system, 3) Break down the problem into smaller, simpler parts, 4) Make use of symmetry and other properties of the integrand, and 5) Practice and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques.