1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a Fourier Transform

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(t) = (sin(2t))/t

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that sin(t)/t has the fourier transform pi(w). I'm just not sure how to apply that fact to this problem. Knowing that sin(t)/t --> pi(w), I reasoned that sin(2t)/t --> 2pi(2w). I'm almost certain this is incorrect. I arrived at this conclusion by noticing that if i multiplied the top and bottom of sin(2t)/t by 2, I would have a sinc function 2sinc(2t). Then I could use the property sin(t)/t --> pi(w). Am I anywhere close?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right idea. Let's introduce the following notation:

[tex]h(t) = \frac{\sin(t)}{t}[/tex]

and [itex]H(\omega)[/itex] is the Fourier transform of [itex]h(t)[/itex].

Notice that

[tex]h(2t) = \frac{\sin(2t)}{2t}[/tex]

and so

[tex]f(t) = 2 h(2t) = \frac{\sin(2t)}{t}[/tex]

Therefore you need to find the Fourier transform of [itex]2 h(2t)[/tex].

Now suppose I write

[tex]g(t) = h(2t)[/itex]

and let [itex]G(\omega)[/itex] denote the Fourier transform of [itex]g(t)[/itex]. Do you know (in general, not necessarily for a specific function) how [itex]G(\omega)[/itex] can be expressed in terms of [itex]H(\omega)[/itex]? If so, then you are essentially done, because

[tex]\mathcal{F}(f(t)) = \mathcal{F}(2 h(2t)) = 2 \mathcal{F}(h(2t)) = 2 \mathcal{F}(g(t)) = 2 G(\omega)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook