What Values of a, b, c, and d Make f(f(x)) = x for All x?

• Thread starter pyrosilver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of a, b, c, and d that will satisfy the function f(x) = (ax + b) / (cx + d) when plugged in for x. The equation f(f(x)) = x is used to find these values, and the conversation ends with the request for help in solving for a, b, c, and d before the homework deadline.
pyrosilver

Homework Statement

For which numbers a, b, c, and d will the function

f(x) = (ax + b) / (cx + d)

satisfy f(f(x)) = x for all x (for which this equation makes sense)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do, which is my problem. So far I think that I can plug in (ax + b) / (cx + d) for x, because that is when it will satisfy f(f(x)) = x, right?

So then I have:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6364/mathnumber8.jpg

So I'm not sure where I want to end up, or where to go from here :( Can someone help me? This is due tomorrow. All help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now set that equal to x (i.e., set f(f(x))=x). Then start solving for a,b,c,d.

To solve this problem, we need to find values for a, b, c, and d that will satisfy the equation f(f(x)) = x for all values of x. To do this, we can start by plugging in (ax + b) / (cx + d) for x in the equation f(f(x)) = x and simplifying. This will give us a new equation that we can use to solve for the values of a, b, c, and d.

Starting with f(f(x)) = x, we have:

f(f(x)) = (a((ax + b) / (cx + d)) + b) / (c((ax + b) / (cx + d)) + d) = x

Next, we can simplify this equation by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the common denominator (cx + d). This will give us:

(a(ax + b) + b(cx + d)) / (c(ax + b) + d(cx + d)) = x

Expanding the parentheses on both the numerator and denominator, we get:

(ax^2 + ab + bcx + bd) / (acx + bc + dcx + d^2) = x

Now, we can set this equation equal to x and solve for a, b, c, and d. This will involve some algebraic manipulation, but eventually we will get a solution set for a, b, c, and d that satisfies the equation f(f(x)) = x for all values of x.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you need further assistance, please let me know. Remember to always show your work and check your solutions for validity. Good luck!

What are some common types of function problems?

Some common types of function problems include finding the domain and range of a function, evaluating a function at a specific value, solving for the x or y intercepts, and determining whether a function is even, odd, or neither.

How do I approach solving a function problem?

The first step is to identify what type of function problem you are dealing with. Then, use any given information and apply relevant formulas or rules to solve for the desired outcome.

What are some helpful resources for solving function problems?

There are many online resources available, such as tutorials, practice problems, and video explanations. You can also consult your textbook or seek help from a tutor or teacher.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving function problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to consider the domain restrictions, mixing up the x and y variables, and making calculation errors. It is also important to double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

How can I improve my skills in solving function problems?

Practice is key! The more you work on solving function problems, the better you will become. You can also try to explain your thought process and solutions to someone else, as teaching others is a great way to solidify your understanding.