1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a generalized formula for factoring

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    Hello,

I’ve come upon a problem in my transitional mathematics course, wherein I need to prove a generalized formula for the factorization of X^n-Y^n where the first term is
    (X-Y). I have deduced a formula making use of the summation of X*Y over the range of positive integers ending at n, but this formula seems over complicated and hard to work with in an inductive proof. I’d post my solution but I’m unable to use the mathematics display software that I see some people using.

I’ve taken a look on google and I can’t seem to find any mention of this general formula, so I’d like it if someone could point me to the standard formula so I can check my work before getting into my proof.

Thanks in advance,
    Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try using long division of the polynomial by x - y.

4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the advice, but that’s not really what I need to know.

It’s really easy to figure out what the second term is for a specific value of n, but I’m trying to find a general formula for a general value of n. The pattern is even easy to see, but I want to know if anyone knows of a general standard formula for the second term as a summation from 1 to n.

5. Sep 26, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you can do the long division for general n! You will find that the second factor (after dividing by x -y) is a geometric series.

6. Sep 26, 2004 #5
    I'm sorry; I’m not familiar with a geometric series in two variables. Would the multiplicative factor in this case be x^(-1)*y?

Thanks for the help,
    Jacob

7. Sep 26, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]x^n - y^n = (x-y)\left(x^n + x^{n-1}y + x^{n-2}y^2 + \cdot \cdot \cdot + x^2 y^{n-2} + x y^{n-1} + y^n\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?