How Fast Did Nicole Throw the Ball?

In summary, the problem involves Nicole throwing a ball straight up and Chad watching from a window above. The ball passes Chad on its way up and down with a speed of 15.0 m/s. The question asks for the initial speed of the ball thrown by Nicole. The formula Vfinal = Vinitial + a(delta t) can be used to solve the problem. For further assistance, refer to the link provided.
zellster87

Homework Statement

This problem has really been bugging me, and i can't seem to figure it out. Heres the question:

Nicole throws a ball straight up. Chad watches the ball from a window 5.90 m above the point where Nicole released it. The ball passes Chad on the way up, and it has a speed of 15.0 m/s as it passes him on the way back down.

How fast did nicole throw the ball?

I don't understand how the guy in the window at 4.9m meters helps me at all. Any help will be greatly apprectiated. Thanks.

Homework Equations

V final = V initial + a(delta t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can definitely help you with this kinematics problem. First, let's start by understanding the given information. Nicole throws a ball straight up, meaning the initial velocity is in the upward direction. The ball then passes Chad on its way up and back down, meaning that the ball's trajectory is parabolic.

Now, let's look at the information about Chad. We know that he is watching the ball from a window that is 5.90 meters above the point where Nicole released the ball. This information is important because it tells us that the ball's maximum height will be 5.90 meters above the point of release.

Next, we are given the speed of the ball as it passes Chad on its way back down. This speed is the final velocity (V final) of the ball before it hits the ground. We also know that the initial velocity (V initial) of the ball was in the upward direction, and the acceleration (a) due to gravity is always directed downward.

Using the equation V final = V initial + a(delta t), we can solve for the initial velocity of the ball. We know that the ball's initial velocity is in the upward direction, so we can rewrite this equation as V final = V initial + (-9.8 m/s^2)(delta t). We can also use the fact that the ball's maximum height is 5.90 meters to find the time (delta t) it takes the ball to reach that height.

Once we have the time, we can plug it back into the equation and solve for the initial velocity. This will give us the speed at which Nicole threw the ball.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck!

1. How do I approach a kinematics problem?

When tackling a kinematics problem, it is important to first identify the given information, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and time. Then, you can use equations such as the kinematic equations or the equations of motion to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the kinematic equations?

The kinematic equations are a set of four equations that relate the displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time for an object moving with constant acceleration. They are:
- s = ut + 1/2at^2
- v = u + at
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as
- s = (u + v)t/2
where s is displacement, u is initial velocity, v is final velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

3. How do I know if I need to use the kinematic equations?

If the problem involves an object moving with constant acceleration, such as a projectile or a falling object, then the kinematic equations are most likely applicable. However, if the acceleration is not constant, then other equations, such as the equations of motion, may need to be used.

4. Can I solve a kinematics problem without using equations?

In most cases, it is not possible to solve a kinematics problem without using equations. However, in some simple cases, you may be able to use basic concepts, such as the definition of average velocity or the area under a velocity-time graph, to solve the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a kinematics problem?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems include forgetting to use the correct units, using the wrong equation, or not properly interpreting the given information. It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.