Need help with a nooby question

• Thread starter semc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using the NR method to find the intersection of a function and its derivative. There is a question about the use of a constant and the process for finding the second approximation. It is noted that ln(4x) and ln(x) have the same derivative because ln(4x)= ln(x)+ ln(4). The correct second approximation is 0.16.
semc
alright there is this question which uses NR method to find intersect but i kept getting the wrong ans can anybody help me check which part i went wrong?:biggrin:

f(x)=2x + ln4x , f'(x)=2+ 1/x

btw,differentiate ln4x and lnx get the same result but the arbitary constant is different right?so do we consider the constant when finding the intersect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you integrate 1/x, you get lnx + C. ln4x = ln4 + lnx, so C = ln4 in this case.

hmm...i see now so the constant changes although there's 1/x in both cases.

regarding the question, if i were to find the 2nd approx. , i am suppose to use 0.1 as 1st approx. however, 0.1-f(0.1)/f'(0.1) is not the ans:confused:

Why not? It won't be the exact solution to the equation, of course, but it certainly is a "second approximation" with first approximation 0.1. I get 0.16 as the second approximation.

By the way, the reason ln(4x) and ln(x) have the same derivative (1/x) is that ln(4x)= ln(x)+ ln(4).

hmm...i also get 0.16 guess the ans is wrong :biggrin: Thanks

1. What does "nooby" mean?

"Nooby" is a slang term used to describe someone who is new or inexperienced in a particular subject or activity.

2. Is it okay to ask "nooby" questions?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask "nooby" questions. Asking questions is an important part of the learning process and there is no shame in not knowing something.

3. How can I phrase my "nooby" question to get the best answer?

When asking a "nooby" question, it is helpful to be specific and provide as much context as possible. This will make it easier for others to understand and provide a helpful answer.

4. Where can I find resources to help me with my "nooby" question?

There are many resources available, such as online forums, tutorial websites, and even asking a mentor or colleague. It is always a good idea to do some research and see if your question has already been answered before asking.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand the answer to my "nooby" question?

If you are still struggling to understand the answer to your "nooby" question, don't be afraid to ask for further clarification. It is important to fully understand the answer in order to learn and improve.