1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a nooby question

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    alright there is this question which uses NR method to find intersect but i kept getting the wrong ans can anybody help me check which part i went wrong?:biggrin:

f(x)=2x + ln4x , f'(x)=2+ 1/x

btw,differentiate ln4x and lnx get the same result but the arbitary constant is different right?so do we consider the constant when finding the intersect?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

If you integrate 1/x, you get lnx + C. ln4x = ln4 + lnx, so C = ln4 in this case.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    hmm...i see now so the constant changes although theres 1/x in both cases.

regarding the question, if i were to find the 2nd approx. , i am suppose to use 0.1 as 1st approx. however, 0.1-f(0.1)/f'(0.1) is not the ans:confused:

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why not? It won't be the exact solution to the equation, of course, but it certainly is a "second approximation" with first approximation 0.1. I get 0.16 as the second approximation.

By the way, the reason ln(4x) and ln(x) have the same derivative (1/x) is that ln(4x)= ln(x)+ ln(4).

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    hmm....i also get 0.16 guess the ans is wrong :biggrin: Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?