How Do You Calculate the Final Velocity of a Ball Rolling Down a Sloped Roof?

• Thread starter aerichk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves finding the final velocity and distance traveled by a ball rolling down a 6.34 meter roof at a 30 degree angle with no friction. Using the conservation of energy and the moment of inertia, the final velocity can be calculated. Then, using the horizontal and vertical components of this velocity, the time of flight and change in position can be determined.
aerichk
Ok, this is a two part problem.

Part I: We have a ball at the top of a roof that has a 30 degree angle at the horizontal. We let the ball roll and it takes 2.55 seconds to reach the bottom of the 6.34 meter roof. The ball weighs .35 kg. **DISREGARD ANY FRICTION** I.E friction of the ramp, wind resistance, any type of friction. The main part of this is to find the Final Velocity at the end of the 6.34 meter roof. So you have Vi(initial velocity) = 0, Vf(Final Velocity) = ?, G(gravity) = 9.8m/s^2. The ramp has a 30 degree angle at the horizontal, and it takes 2.55 seconds to get to the bottom.

Part II: After we find the Final Velocity, we have to figure out how far the ball will travel in the air. After it reaches the final velocity, it falls off the roof 2.51 meters to the ground. The *main part* of the entire problem is to figure out how far it will go off the roof. The Y axis is 2.51 meters, and we need to find out what the X axis will be. We need to find out Dx(distance of x), Vx(Velocity of x), and T(time it takes to reach the ground).

My friends and I have been having trouble with this problem all day. We keep coming up with wrong, impossible answers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so we can't be assuming NO friction if we assume the ball rolls. The problem is a little different depending on whether the ball slides down the roof or rolls down the roof; it's not especially harder either way, just different. Anyway, like most problems, there is more than one way to solve this. You could do a balance the forces and moments acting on the ball to find its acceleration and find its speed at the bottom of the roof. It's probably easier to use the conservation of energy (no work is lost to friction here): The ball has some initial potential energy given by mgh, where h is the distance above some datum you define; if you choose the datum to be the height of the base of the roof (i.e., 2.51 m off the ground), then the ball will end up with 0 potential energy there. Set this potential energy equal to the kinetic energy associated with some velocity, v, of the ball: the translational kinetic energy is given by .5*m*v^2, and the rotational kinetic energy is given by .5*I*ω^2. If I remember correctly, the moment of inertia about a center axis for a solid sphere is (2/5)*m*r^2. Also use the fact that you have a geometric constraint in this problem because the ball is rolling: ω = v/r. So in one line you get the speed of the ball (v) as it leaves the roof and you know that it is directed along the angle of the roof.

For part 2, break this velocity up into components (horizontal and vertical). There is no acceleration in the horizontal direction and there is constant acceleration downward due to gravity in the vertical direction. So get the time of flight from the given drop distance in the y direction and use that to find the change in x position. I hope this description is enough for you to figure out which equations to use.

Sure, I'd be happy to help with this physics problem! Let's break it down step by step.

Part I:

First, we need to find the acceleration of the ball as it rolls down the 30 degree ramp. Since we are disregarding friction, the only force acting on the ball is gravity, which we know is 9.8 m/s^2. However, we need to find the component of gravity that is acting down the ramp, which can be found using trigonometry. The angle of the ramp is 30 degrees, so the component of gravity acting down the ramp is 9.8 m/s^2 * cos(30) = 8.49 m/s^2.

Next, we can use the equation Vf = Vi + at to find the final velocity. Since the initial velocity is 0, we can simplify the equation to Vf = at. Plugging in the known values, we get Vf = (8.49 m/s^2)(2.55 s) = 21.64 m/s. This is the final velocity at the end of the 6.34 meter roof.

Part II:

Now, we need to figure out how far the ball will travel in the air after it falls off the roof. To do this, we can use the equation d = Vit + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Since the ball has reached its final velocity at the end of the roof, the initial velocity for this part of the problem is 21.64 m/s. The acceleration is still 9.8 m/s^2, and we know that the time it takes for the ball to fall from the end of the roof to the ground is 2.51 seconds (since it took 2.55 seconds to roll down the ramp and then falls for an additional 2.51 seconds). Plugging in these values, we get d = (21.64 m/s)(2.51 s) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(2.51 s)^2 = 27.22 m.

So, the ball will travel 27.22 meters in the air after falling off the roof. To find the distance on the x-axis, we can use the equation d = Vxt. We know the distance is 27.

1. What is the problem you need help with?

The first step in getting help with a physics problem is clearly identifying the problem. This includes understanding the given information, what is being asked, and any relevant equations or concepts.

2. How can I approach solving the problem?

There are various problem-solving strategies that can be applied to physics problems, such as using diagrams, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and applying fundamental principles and equations. It is important to choose a method that works best for you and practice using it.

3. Can you show me the steps to solve the problem?

While the specific steps to solving a physics problem may vary depending on the type of problem, there are some general steps that can be followed. These include organizing the given information, identifying relevant equations, setting up the problem, and solving for the unknown variable.

4. How do I check if my answer is correct?

One way to check your answer is to plug it back into the original problem and see if it makes sense. Another method is to use estimation or unit analysis to see if the answer is reasonable. Additionally, it can be helpful to ask for a second opinion or compare your solution to a worked example.

5. What resources can I use to get help with a physics problem?

There are many resources available to help with physics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. It is also important to utilize your instructor and classmates as resources and ask for clarification when needed.