Need help with a planet....and other questions

• Thread starter KristijanT
  • Start date
In summary, Boron is scarce. So, I need help in terms of making up a plausible reason for boron to exist in large quantities on that planet. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that "this problem can be largely solved by star systems with increased levels of cosmic ray spallation." Can someone explain what does this exactly mean? Yes, I have searched it up, and, unfortunately, since English isn't my first language, Wikipedia wasn't kind to me with all of its complex terms! So, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi! I've been really busy these (20) days,so,I haven't checked the thread (and haven't missed anything,obviously).
I'm here to ask some questions specifically about GRB's(yep,gamma-ray bursts).

For one,what would be an approximate minimum distance at which we are safe from one?
Also,how (little) predictable are they? Warning signs,anything...?

Aaaaaaand,also something that confused me:
To quote from foxnews.com...:

"Earth may lie in the path of a dangerous gamma-ray burst that could wipe out a quarter of our atmospheric ozone. Astronomers say WR 104, a Wolf-Rayet star about 8,000 light years away, could go supernova any day, which would generate gamma-rays that could reach earth."

Uhm,yeah,it can -- but since it's 8000 ly away,doesn't it mean that even if it goes supernova exactly at this moment -- we'll feel the effects here on Earth 8000 years later?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but it might have gone supernova 8000 years ago, and we will find out that it did tomorrow!

Oh,damn,of course.I blame the beer!