1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a problem

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    so there's a blcok of mass 459 g attached to one end of a cord of mass 3.3 g and the other end of the cord is attached to a fixed point. The block rotates with constant angular spd in a circle on a horizontal frictionless table. Through what angle does the block rotate in teh time that a transverse wave takes to travel along the string from the center of the circle to the block. I don't know how to start this at all.

EDIT: Nvm I got it

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2007 #2
    I don't get it. I've tried using v = omega/r and v = sqrt(T/mu). I did calculate the radius to be .084 m at one point by substituting some equations and solving a cubic with r. I used T = (.45 kg + .0032kg*r)*(r*omega^2). I then combined that equation into the v = sqrt(T/mu) to get the value of r = .084. But I can't figure out where to go from there to get d(theta). I know omega = d(theta)/dt, but that's all I've got.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?