Solving Integration Problems: Tips and Tricks for Integrating x arccos(x)dx

• Thread starter colorado
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand is to integrate x arccos(x)dx. The individual has made some progress, but is stuck at the end and is unsure of how to integrate the remaining part. They suggest trying a substitution like x=sin(u) and also mention the possibility of repeated integration by parts.
colorado
This is a problem from my homework set.

I'm so close but I'm tangled up at the end...

Integrate/ x arccos(x)dx

So far I am at

(x^2)/2 arccosx - Int/ (x^2)/ (2 sqrt(x^2 - 1))

Can figure out how to integrate this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you mean sqrt(1-x^2). I would try a substitution like x=sin(u).

You are correct. Thankyou!

I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Is the part inside the integral,

x * arccos(x)?

if so, what about the substitution u = arccos(x), so that x=cos(u), and dx = -sin(u) du? Then it becomes the integral of -u*sin(u)*cos(u) du

I'd probably try repeated integration by parts to solve the new integral.

Never mind, seems it was answered while I was typing :)

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, physics, and other fields.

What is x arccos(x)?

x arccos(x) is a mathematical expression that involves the product of the variable x and the inverse trigonometric function arccosine (or cosine inverse) of x. It is commonly used in integration problems and can be challenging to solve without proper techniques.

Why is solving integration problems involving x arccos(x) difficult?

Integrating x arccos(x) can be difficult because it involves both a variable and an inverse trigonometric function, making it a non-elementary function. This means that the standard integration techniques may not apply, and special methods or tricks are needed to solve it.

What are some tips and tricks for solving integration problems involving x arccos(x)?

Some tips and tricks for solving integration problems involving x arccos(x) include using substitution, integrating by parts, using trigonometric identities, and converting the expression into a more manageable form. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties and graphs of inverse trigonometric functions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems involving x arccos(x)?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems involving x arccos(x) are forgetting to use the chain rule, not simplifying the expression before integrating, and making errors in trigonometric identities. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to check the final answer for correctness.