Calculating Work: Solving a Skiing Problem on a 30 Degree Slope

• Thread starter ashkitten21
  • Start date
In summary, a skier with a mass of 64 kg is pulled up a 30 degree slope with a motor-driven cable at a constant speed of 3.1 meters/second. The amount of work required to pull the skier 80 meters up the slope, assuming no friction, is 13745.6 joules. To maintain this constant speed on a flat surface, a force of the same magnitude would be required. Additionally, the work required for the 80 meter trip would be equal to the force multiplied by the distance traveled.
ashkitten21
A skier of mass 64 kg is pulled up a slope by a motor-driven cable. How much work is required to pull him 80 meters up a 30 degree slope (assumed frictionless) at a constant speed of 3.1 meters/second? [answer is to be in joules]

Ok, so the equation I am using is W = (Fcos(theta))*delta x

I tried using the values above and I've done it over and over and still came up with the same number.

W = ((3.1*64)*cos30)*80

= 13745.6

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was no slope, a force of what magnitude would be required to keep up a constant speed?
And as dW = F dx, how much work would be required for the 80m trip?

Hope this helps you figure out what you did wrong :).

Last edited:
Ok, I got it . . .Thank you.

1. What kind of problem do you need help with?

This is a very broad question and the answer will vary greatly depending on the context. It would be helpful if you could provide more specific details about the problem you are facing so I can better assist you.

2. Can you explain the problem in more detail?

In order for me to provide accurate help, I will need to understand the problem thoroughly. Please provide as much detail as possible, including any relevant background information and any steps you have already taken to try and solve the problem.

3. What have you tried so far to solve the problem?

It is important for me to know what steps you have already taken in trying to solve the problem. This will help me avoid suggesting solutions that you have already tried and allow me to offer more effective assistance.

4. What specific help do you need?

This question is also dependent on the nature of the problem. It would be helpful if you could specify what kind of help you are looking for, such as troubleshooting, understanding a concept, or finding a solution.

5. How urgent is this problem?

If this is an urgent issue, please let me know so I can prioritize my assistance. If it is not urgent, I may be able to provide more thorough help by taking more time to analyze and understand the problem.