Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a project

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am an undergrad student and for one of my courses I am required to model a mechanical / physical / electrical / thermal system that is a physical system (as in commonly used) and has a non linear oscillating behavior.

if it is a mechanical system, it has to have mass, spring and dampers and the damper should cause the oscillation to decay to some extent.

I am having trouble thinking of a physical application that will be easy to model. since I have to create an animation as well.

Do you have any ideas ? (some examples (that i can not use because others are already doing it) would be oil rigs, elevators, speakers etc)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The non-linear part may be harder to figure out, but a fun advanced simulation subject would be active noise cancellation. The simplest example would be NC headphones, and a harder example would be quieting a large engine apparatus for the surrounding areas.

For non-linear noise cancellation, maybe some submarine acoustics?

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    You could do a simple pendulum without making small angle approximations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook