1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a project

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am an undergrad student and for one of my courses I am required to model a mechanical / physical / electrical / thermal system that is a physical system (as in commonly used) and has a non linear oscillating behavior.

if it is a mechanical system, it has to have mass, spring and dampers and the damper should cause the oscillation to decay to some extent.

I am having trouble thinking of a physical application that will be easy to model. since I have to create an animation as well.

Do you have any ideas ? (some examples (that i can not use because others are already doing it) would be oil rigs, elevators, speakers etc)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The non-linear part may be harder to figure out, but a fun advanced simulation subject would be active noise cancellation. The simplest example would be NC headphones, and a harder example would be quieting a large engine apparatus for the surrounding areas.

For non-linear noise cancellation, maybe some submarine acoustics?

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    You could do a simple pendulum without making small angle approximations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook