1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a proof on divisors.

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    Ok, the proof to be done is pretty simple:
    Prove that a number is a square only when the number of positive divisors is odd.

I pretty sure I know the answer, I'm just not sure how to go about writing it out...

If c is the number then you can write:
    c=ab.
    a and b are divisors of c. If a doesn't equal b then you have two different divisors. If a=b, then c=ab can be rewritten as c=a^2, and you only have one divisor. Because of this any number that can be written as a square of another number has an odd number of divisors -- all the pairs of factors that equal the number plus the 1 divisor that is squared to make the number.

I guess I just need to know how to write this out better, and how to make sure I haven't assumed to much as given/proven at the outset.
    Thanks,
    -GM-

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's pretty much it, you've got the essential idea of pairing divisors c=ab with a,b distinct, which leaves out the oddball [tex]\sqrt{c}[/tex] out. You could try organizing the divisors c=ab with the assumption that a<=b, but this isn't necessarily any better.

For an alternate way, you could look at the prime factorization of c and count the divisors that way. (this isn't a 'better' way, but gives a different point of view to consider if you run across other divisor problems)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?