Is Every Number with an Odd Number of Divisors a Perfect Square?

• Thread starter GeoMike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a number is a square only when the number of positive divisors is odd. The key idea is that a square number can be written as the product of two identical factors or as the square of one number, resulting in an odd number of divisors. The conversation also suggests alternate methods for organizing and counting the divisors of a number.
GeoMike
Ok, the proof to be done is pretty simple:
Prove that a number is a square only when the number of positive divisors is odd.

I pretty sure I know the answer, I'm just not sure how to go about writing it out...

If c is the number then you can write:
c=ab.
a and b are divisors of c. If a doesn't equal b then you have two different divisors. If a=b, then c=ab can be rewritten as c=a^2, and you only have one divisor. Because of this any number that can be written as a square of another number has an odd number of divisors -- all the pairs of factors that equal the number plus the 1 divisor that is squared to make the number.

I guess I just need to know how to write this out better, and how to make sure I haven't assumed to much as given/proven at the outset.
Thanks,
-GM-

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty much it, you've got the essential idea of pairing divisors c=ab with a,b distinct, which leaves out the oddball [tex]\sqrt{c}[/tex] out. You could try organizing the divisors c=ab with the assumption that a<=b, but this isn't necessarily any better.

For an alternate way, you could look at the prime factorization of c and count the divisors that way. (this isn't a 'better' way, but gives a different point of view to consider if you run across other divisor problems)

Sure, I'd be happy to help with the proof on divisors. Let's start with the statement you are trying to prove: "A number is a square only when the number of positive divisors is odd."

To prove this statement, we will use a proof by contradiction. This means that we will assume the opposite of the statement is true and then show that this leads to a contradiction, which means that our original statement must be true.

So, let's assume that a number c is a square, but the number of positive divisors is even. This means that c has an even number of divisors, which we can represent as 2n, where n is a positive integer.

Now, let's consider the prime factorization of c. We can write c as c = p1^a1 * p2^a2 * ... * pn^an, where p1, p2, ..., pn are distinct prime numbers and a1, a2, ..., an are positive integers.

Since c is a square, we know that each exponent ai must be even (because when we multiply two numbers with the same base, we add their exponents). Therefore, we can rewrite our prime factorization as c = p1^(2b1) * p2^(2b2) * ... * pn^(2bn), where b1, b2, ..., bn are positive integers.

Now, let's consider the number of divisors of c. Each divisor of c can be written as d = p1^x1 * p2^x2 * ... * pn^xn, where 0 ≤ xi ≤ 2bi for each i. This means that each divisor of c can be represented by choosing an exponent between 0 and 2bi for each prime factor.

Since c has 2n divisors, this means that there are (2b1 + 1) * (2b2 + 1) * ... * (2bn + 1) possible combinations of exponents for the divisors of c. But this is an odd number, since each factor (2bi + 1) is odd.

However, we assumed that the number of divisors of c is even, which leads to a contradiction. Therefore, our original statement must be true: a number is a square only when the number of positive divisors is odd.

I hope this helps you to write

What is a divisor?

A divisor is a number that can divide another number evenly without leaving a remainder.

How do you prove that a number is a divisor?

To prove that a number is a divisor, you can use the division algorithm, which states that if a is divided by b, the remainder will always be less than b. Therefore, if a number can be divided by another number without leaving a remainder, it is a divisor.

What is the difference between a proper divisor and an improper divisor?

A proper divisor of a number is a divisor that is less than the number itself. An improper divisor is a divisor that is equal to the number itself. For example, the proper divisors of 10 are 1, 2, and 5, while the improper divisor is 10.

How do you use prime factorization to find the divisors of a number?

Prime factorization is a method of breaking down a number into its prime factors. To find the divisors of a number, you can use the prime factors and their combinations to create all possible divisors.

Can every number be divided by 1 and itself?

Yes, every number can be divided by 1 and itself. Therefore, 1 and the number itself are always divisors.