How Do You Solve Physics Problems Involving a Pulley System with Two Students?

• Thread starter driedupfish
  • Start date
In summary, we have a situation where a rope of negligible mass and a pulley of negligible mass are attached to the ceiling. Student A of mass 70 kg is holding one end of the rope while standing on the floor, and Student B of mass 60 kg is suspended at rest on the opposite end of the rope. We are asked to calculate the magnitude of the force exerted by the floor on Student A, which can be found by using Newton's 2nd law. We then move on to part C where we are asked to calculate the tension in the rope while Student B is accelerating at a constant rate of 0.25 m/s2. To answer this, we need to consider all the forces acting on Student B
driedupfish
2a66pap.jpg

A rope of negligible mass passes over a pulley of negligible mass attached to the ceiling, as shown above. One end of the rope is held by Student A of mass 70 kg, who is at rest on the floor. The opposite end of the rope is held by Student B of mass 60 kg, who is suspended at rest above the floor.

(b) Calculate the magnitude of the force exerted by the floor on Student A.
(c) Student B now climbs up the rope at a constant acceleration of 0.25 m/s2 with respect to the floor.
Calculate the tension in the rope while Student B is accelerating.

(d) As Student B is accelerating, is Student A pulled upward off the floor? Justify your answer.

(e) With what minimum acceleration must Student B climb up the rope to lift Student A upward off the floor?

i was working on this question for a long time but i kept getting it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done so far and tell us where you are stuck. Here's a hint: Since the rope is masseless and the pulley is massless and frictionless, there will be a single tension throughout the rope.

i am now on part C, i think that since student A and B are both at rest at the first place, student B climbing up just adds another force to the tension, so .25 * mass of student B. = force of tension.

Careful. Newton's 2nd law tells you that the net force equals "ma". (Tension is not the only force on B.)

How do you do this question?

1. What does "Need help with a question" mean?

"Need help with a question" typically refers to seeking assistance with understanding or solving a problem or inquiry.

2. How do I ask for help with a question?

To ask for help with a question, it is best to provide specific details about the question and the assistance needed. This can include providing background information, any steps already taken to solve the question, and the desired outcome.

3. Who can I ask for help with a question?

You can ask for help with a question from a variety of sources, such as teachers, colleagues, or online communities. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter of your question.

4. How do I know if I need help with a question?

If you are struggling to understand or solve a question on your own, it may be a good idea to seek help. Other indicators that you may need help include feeling stuck or confused, lack of progress, or a looming deadline.

5. What are some tips for getting help with a question?

Some tips for getting help with a question include being clear and specific in your request, actively listening to and considering the suggestions of those helping you, and being open to trying new approaches or perspectives. It is also important to express gratitude and follow up with any progress or solutions.