Need help with a rejected paper

• Other
  • Thread starter yihg500k7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the paper was submitted to Physical Review Letters in October 25, 2018. But the paper first rejected by Associate Editor of PRL in October 30, 2018, and he gave me a few comments on my manuscript. But I found that his comments were incorrect, so I resubmitted my manuscript to PRL in November 10, 2018 and responded to his comments. I find that my manuscript status has always been "With editors" from Monday to Thursday(From November 12, 2018 to November 15, 2018), and the manuscript submission system has this record: Ed. decision and / or Ref. comments to author; response rcvd, but Friday(November 16, 2018) my manuscript status was " Not under active consideration", and
yihg500k7
Who can help me? My paper was submitted to Physical Review Letters in October 25, 2018. But the paper first rejected by Associate Editor of PRL in October 30, 2018, and he gave me a few comments on my manuscript. But I found that his comments were incorrect, so I resubmitted my manuscript to PRL in November 10, 2018 and responded to his comments. I find that my manuscript status has always been "With editors" from Monday to Thursday(From November 12, 2018 to November 15, 2018), and the manuscript submission system has this record: Ed. decision and / or Ref. comments to author; response rcvd, but Friday(November 16, 2018) my manuscript status was " Not under active consideration", and the record also disappeared in the manuscript submission system, and I did not receive any decision notification email from the editor.I contacted the Associate Editor of PRL, but the Associate Editor didn't give me any response. It is certain that the record are deleted by the Associate Editor. Because my response to his comments contained these words:”You make these comments only based on your own subjective assumptions without any evidence, the comments are unconvincing. So your comments are not valid.” He may not be happy to read these words. But these are facts.The Associate Editor has broken the rules. Please kindly tell me what I should do now.Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion is to read up on it online:

by searching the terms: "how to handle a scientific journal rejection"

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.10567j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I found quite a few references of others who have been rejected and how they handled the situation.

In one case, the author became an editor and realized how many papers often get rejected for one reason or another.

I've also read a book written by a book reviewer who said manuscripts were routinely rejected because of the paper they were written on or the spelling or poor English within the first 5 pages of text...

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-first-five-pages/

Because reviewers get so many papers they try to find reasons to reject in order to find those few papers that are really outstanding and they aren't interested in helping you to get your paper published unless they see something extremely special in it or unless they get very few papers that journal cycle.

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
My suggestion is to read up on it online:

by searching the terms: "how to handle a scientific journal rejection"

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.10567j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I found quite a few references of others who have been rejected and how they handled the situation.

In one case, the author became an editor and realized how many papers often get rejected for one reason or another.

I've also read a book written by a book reviewer who said manuscripts were routinely rejected because of the paper they were written on or the spelling or poor English within the first 5 pages of text...

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-first-five-pages/

Because reviewers get so many papers they try to find reasons to reject in order to find those few papers that are really outstanding and they aren't interested in helping you to get your paper published unless they see something extremely special in it or unless they get very few papers that journal cycle.

Give an irrelevant answer!

Please carefully read the content of my thread, and then reply, OK?

The most likely reason your paper is rejected like this is that it is irrelevant or wrong and the editors realize this. You need to be open to this possibility which, judging by the tone of your OP and your response to @jedishrfu , you are not. For PRL you have even higher standards than most other journals. Your manuscript needs to be relevant not only to the field but also to a broader audience.

The editors have absolutely not broken any rules. It is not a right to get your manuscripts published in PRL.

What academic training do you have? Do you have a PhD or working on one? In that case your supervisor can advice you on the quality of your research and your manuscript. If not how do you know that your paper is relevant?

Likes russ_watters and jedishrfu
yihg500k7 said:
Give an irrelevant answer!

Please carefully read the content of my thread, and then reply, OK?
If this is your reaction to @jedishrfu trying to be helpful, I can understand why your reply to the editor might have caused your article to be discarded by PRL.

There is basically nothing you can do with respect to PRL. You can try another journal, but before doing that I would take @Orodruin's advice and consider whether there is a problem with the paper itself.

Likes Wrichik Basu, NTL2009, russ_watters and 1 other person
From the contents of the above replies, You seem to have no experience in submission.I do not want to communicate with you, I want to delete the post.

Likes jedishrfu
yihg500k7 said:
The Associate Editor has broken the rules.

Broken the rules? Oh noes!

Uh...which rules exactly?

yihg500k7 said:
Please kindly tell me what I should do now.Thank you.

Submit to another journal.

Likes jedishrfu
yihg500k7 said:
From the contents of the above replies, You seem to have no experience in submission.I do not want to communicate with you, I want to delete the post.

Based on your reaction here, I can already guess why your submission was rejected by the editor.

Many of us here not only have plenty of experience in journal submissions, but we are also referees for PRL and other journals. In my case, I’ve also had the opportunity to talk to many of the Physical Review editors at the various March Meetings.

So if you’ve never consider the possibility of you being completely wrong, this is one where you definitely are!

Zz.

Likes davenn, russ_watters and jedishrfu
yihg500k7 said:
You just made it blatantly clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. If this is the amount of effort you put into considering whether or not your manuscript is a valid and meaningful contribution to the scientific endeavour, then it is not very surprising that it is not accepted by PRL.

I have co-authored more than 50 publications in top tier journals in high-energy physics and I have refereed manuscripts for most of the journals in the field - including PRL. It is clear from your attitude and your replies that you yourself has no experience with or idea about how scientific publishing works. Why are you asking questions that you are not prepared to hear the answer to?

Likes davenn, mfb, russ_watters and 2 others
There is no point in continuing this discussion.

Thread closed.

Likes NTL2009, Borg, davenn and 1 other person

1. Why was my paper rejected?

There could be a variety of reasons why your paper was rejected. It could be due to a lack of originality in your research, weak methodology, or insufficient evidence to support your claims. It is important to carefully review the feedback provided by the reviewers to understand the specific reasons for rejection.

2. Can I resubmit my rejected paper to the same journal?

Yes, most journals allow authors to resubmit a rejected paper after making revisions based on the feedback provided by the reviewers. However, it is important to carefully address all the concerns raised by the reviewers in your revised submission to increase the chances of acceptance.

3. How long does it take for a paper to be reviewed and accepted?

The review process can vary in length depending on the journal and the complexity of your paper. It can take anywhere from several weeks to several months. It is important to follow up with the journal if you have not heard back within the expected time frame.

4. Should I submit my rejected paper to a different journal?

This ultimately depends on the feedback you received from the reviewers. If the feedback indicates that the topic or methodology of your paper may not be a good fit for the journal, it may be a good idea to submit to a different journal. However, if the feedback suggests that with revisions your paper could be accepted, it may be worth resubmitting to the same journal.

5. Can I appeal the rejection of my paper?

Yes, many journals allow authors to appeal the rejection of their paper. This typically involves providing a detailed response to the feedback received from the reviewers and making a case for why the paper should be reconsidered for publication. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the journal for the appeal process.