Need help with a statics problem

• Thread starter steves1080
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the wind pressure is low, but the applied force is too large. You need to either mitigate the load or find a different way to support the fixture.
steves1080
Thanks for checking out my post-

I work at a launch facility, and we have light fixtures around the site that have proven to be poorly designed by the manufacturer. Multiple fixtures joints have failed over time due to lack of proper structural support - My goal is to add sufficient supports to these fixtures without over-complicating things, and then backing up my corrective action with calculations.

The largest force acting on these fixtures is from the rocket blast, which I assumed to act as a blast wave at a 45-degree angle to the top surface of the fixture (based on the fixture location). I also used wind speed and fixture weight as additional forces, and then I calculated the resultant moment acting on the joint. From that, I simply calculated the reaction moment on the other side of the joint, and then determined the force acting on the new bolt I plan to add for support.

See attached for my calculation. As you can see, my final shear stress on the bolt was found to be 311 ksi, which seems way too large to be correct.. I was pretty conservative in this approach, but I still would not expect an answer on this order of magnitude.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140519095149263.pdf
    481.1 KB · Views: 246
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your loading due to wind pressure is a tad low.

For a wind speed of 120 mph, P = 0.00256*V^2 approximately, according to the ASCE.

For V = 120 mph, P = 37 lb/ft^2 = 0.256 psi, instead of 0.10 psi.

http://www-classes.usc.edu/architecture/structures/wind/ASCE7%20Wind%20Load.pdf

Using a 1/4" bolt to support a load of 450 lbs at 24" is much too small. You've either got to mitigate the load or find a different way to support this fixture.

Thanks for the input, you're right about the wind pressure. But my confusion here is that 311 ksi seems extremely large. And now apparently this is actually too low... I just want to make sure this solution makes sense or if I'm way off base here. Thanks again for responding.

steves1080: Although you perhaps could adjust your wind pressure, your calculations are correct, and your answer is correct, for the given assumptions.

However, the applied forces actually act at the lamp centerline, which is a moment arm of 382 mm, instead of 613 mm. Therefore, this reduces your current stress; but your bolt is still overstressed.

Is your bolt in single shear, or double shear? I.e., does it have one shear plane, or two shear planes? Know what I mean?

Use a moment arm of 382 mm. And if your bolt has one shear plane, then perhaps try an M16 bolt or a 0.6250-11 UNC-2A bolt.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the response. Yes I suppose using a moment at the edge of the plate may have just been overly conservative.. it makes sense to place the forces in the middle of the plate, which is more realistic.

I assumed one shear plane, because you basically have one bolt through two flush surfaces, each trying to move in opposite directions perpendicular to the bolt.

Thanks again!

1. What is statics and why is it important?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces acting on stationary objects. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of structures and machines, and allows us to design safe and efficient structures.

2. How do I approach a statics problem?

The first step is to define the problem and draw a clear and accurate free body diagram. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion to find the unknown forces and solve for equilibrium. Finally, check your solution for reasonableness and accuracy.

3. What are the most common types of statics problems?

The most common types of statics problems involve analyzing forces in simple and complex truss structures, calculating reactions and internal forces in beams, and determining the stability of structures.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a statics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include missing or incorrect units, not considering all forces acting on the object, and using incorrect equations or assumptions. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any helpful resources for practicing statics problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for practicing statics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problem sets. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.