Is Sliding Down a Falling Tree Safer Than Free Falling?

• Thread starter taloz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a person should push off a tree or hold on to it as it falls. The person should consider the force acting on them and use physics equations such as F=ma and torque = I* Angular Acceleration to make a decision. It is mentioned that free falling is safer, but the teacher wants the class to show the logic behind this conclusion. The conversation also mentions the use of variables and the moment of inertia in calculating torque. Ultimately, it is revealed that the teacher's question is a trick question and the best option is to slide down the tree like a firepole.
taloz

Homework Statement

A person is atop a tree as it is cut down. Should he push off from the tree and fall freely to the ground or hold on and ride the tree to the ground?It would be a good idea to lay down some physics formulas to support your argument.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Torque = I*Angular Acceleration

angular acceleration = V^2 /r

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told our class that we should look at the force acting on the person as they fall.

I know that in free fall the force acting on the person would be (9.8*mass) Newtons because F=ma and a= -9.8 m/s.

With that said, I'm very confused as to how to find the force acting on a person as they accelerate in rotational motion. The reason for this is that i know that the force of gravity is a torque that makes the tree-- and the person attached to it-- fall faster. However, the torque due to the force of gravity should change as the tree falls further and further down. because of this, i don't know how to calculate how much force the person has acting on him/her.

As a note, my teacher has told me that it is 1.2 times more dangerous to hold on to the tree-- i know that free falling is safer-- but wants my class to show the logic and work that brings us to this conclusion. I'm utterly lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
torque = R X F = I*w

since force is acting perpendicular to the branch it can be rewritten as

R*F = I*w

But, without using numbers and just variables, how can i quantify the force of I*w/R in terms of just mass as i use 9.8*m as the force of the other one?

I don't have any numbers to use here, nor do i know the moment of inertia in this situation.

also, isn't torque = I* angular acceleration not I * the angular velocity?

Last edited:
can anyone help me please? My teacher's question is not phrased very well so i don't understand how to go about solving it.

It's a trick question. The person should slide down the tree like a firepole.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the amount of force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application. The equation for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

3. What units is torque measured in?

Torque is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft) in the metric and imperial systems, respectively. However, other units such as joules (J) or inch-pounds (in-lb) may also be used.

4. What are some real-life examples of torque?

Some examples of torque in everyday life include opening a jar lid, tightening a bolt with a wrench, and pedaling a bicycle. In more technical applications, torque is also used in engines, motors, and other machinery.

5. How can I increase torque?

To increase torque, you can either increase the force applied or increase the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application. Using a longer lever arm or applying more force are common ways to increase torque in practical situations.